Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sharing my blessing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sharing-my-blessing-t82028.html)

mrspete 12-10-2010 09:01 PM

I wanted to give myself a Christmas Present. I have a friend who knows a young man in uniform in Aghanistan. So I got his address and I begin this as a community service then things changed and I changed it to, Lord-guide-me-and-bless-this-effort type project. So I contacted all my neighbors and friends. A few gave and I bought so much stuff and made little treat bags from Christmas fabric. One of the biggest need this group asked for was boot laces. How simple was that?? Very, I found salvage places with scads of things that help them and entertain them and nourish them. Reading materials and toiletries that have no perfume and are in travel sizes. Everything was put in ziplocks, that was the second request. They needed ziplocks to keep their stuff fresh and clean. Being a frugal person, I want you to know, I packed 13 of the APO boxes for them and mailed them 22 November 2010....got word last night. Mission Accomplished !!! What a wonderful Christmas gift to me, to know they got there with little messages through out all the 100+ packages and goodies. They will know this One Grandma loves them and prays for them. I just wanted to share. Anyone you know with a relative or friend 'over there' get their address and at least send a card. I send more than I should, but cards they can carry and look at over and over. I love this board and all you wonderful people. You are another blessing. Thanks to the owner of this site and the workers and all who participate. I never fail but to learn when I come in here and read. Thank you. Ruth

OneMoreQuilt 12-10-2010 09:07 PM

What a wonderful story. I know they appreciate your wonderful gifts. Merry Christmas!!!

Tink's Mom 12-10-2010 09:08 PM

That was a lovely thing to do, Ruth...you truly are blessed.

natalieg 12-10-2010 09:09 PM

Thank you for supporting our troops! My son was the recipient of several "goodie" boxes (not just from family) while he was stationed there!

QuiltDraggon 12-10-2010 09:10 PM

As the wife of a soldier who just returned from a deployment I want to thank you. Selfless things like you did for those soldiers means so much to them. My husband brought all the cards and things he received while being deployed home to show me and his face still lights up when he talks about it. God bless you and Merry Christmas!

cjomomma 12-10-2010 09:11 PM

Awww! mrspete that was so wonderful of you to do that. You know that they appreciated everything that you sent.

sueisallaboutquilts 12-10-2010 09:32 PM

Ruth, what an amazing thing you did that will impact so many.
I'm speechless here. Blessings to you, my dear :)

medots 12-10-2010 09:45 PM

Bless you for your work and Merry Christmas

kim_s 12-10-2010 10:02 PM

God bless you Ruth! You are a sweatheart!

wanderingcreek 12-10-2010 10:25 PM

You are an absolute angel for doing this. This has to be an especially hard time for all the troops who are away from their families at this time of year. I am sure that you made it a little bit easier for them knowing that people care about them.