Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sharon Schamber method for sandwiching? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sharon-schamber-method-sandwiching-t170293.html)

teddysmom 11-30-2011 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by janceejan (Post 4734877)
I did my first sandwich last night with the boards and hand basting. It does make it smooth. Haven't tried it with the spray yet. I am thinking about using pinmoors and pins next one. It took me forever....2 hours...to baste it. Been a while since I basted, and I was trying so hard to do it right.

What size quilt are you making and how long did the boards have to be?

Mickey1 11-30-2011 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by granny_59 (Post 4735325)
Hi Diane

I always use Sharon`s method and use 505 to spray baste. I only made a small adjustment as this works out better for me and big quilts.
First I roll the back on one board and the batting on the other and spray baste it together with her method. After that I control and roll the back with the batting back on a board and the top on the other one and finish it her way.
At first I used the same method as with her handbasting, but folding the batting back and forth was very uncomfortable and not as accurate as doing it in two steps.
Hope this helps
Granny

Thanks! Just the info I wanted to hear!!

quilter711 11-30-2011 12:52 PM

Can Sharon's video for hand basting be used to spray baste? It seems that using the boards you have more control of the fabric. Has anyone tried this? Thanks for any and all suggestions!!
Happy Holidays to all :)

DonnaB 11-30-2011 12:55 PM

I've used spray basting for small projects and a lap quilt, and had no problems with it.

Steady Stiching 12-01-2011 03:52 AM

I will spray baste a small project but prefer Sharons uber big herringbone baste stitch with a big needle and hand quilting thread,

so-sew 12-01-2011 04:21 AM

I've never spray basted, but would love to...just worried about it somehow messing up my machine. I know with the BSR, I've heard it's not a good idea.

ghquilter53 12-01-2011 04:23 AM

I spray baste lapsize quilts and smaller. Haven't tried larger ones.

scottrell 12-01-2011 04:37 AM

I only spray baste. Just be careful where you do the spraying. Laid the first on on the living room carpet and never could get that stuff out. Made big dark lines when walked on. Could not figure out what it was for awhile.Otherwise I love the spray.

LizzyLou 12-01-2011 05:09 AM

I only spray baste on small projects. Once I used too much, won't do that again.

helenip 12-01-2011 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by quilter711 (Post 4736687)
Can Sharon's video for hand basting be used to spray baste? It seems that using the boards you have more control of the fabric. Has anyone tried this? Thanks for any and all suggestions!!
Happy Holidays to all :)

I use Sharon's basting method with the boards and spray baste as I go instead of hand basting. Easy! I do use only 505 spray baste having tried a variety of other products and find this one is the best for me. A light spray is all that is needed and I do pin along the border edges to avoid over spray. I used to do the hand basting only and the spray is so much faster and lasts until I am finished quilting.