Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sheets for quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sheets-quilts-t171779.html)

AshleyR 12-12-2011 05:33 AM

Sheets for quilts?

Since the subject of fabric quality has come up again, I thought I'd throw something else out there -

Do you use sheets in your quilts? Why or why not?

I've always heard not to use them, but I will use it for backing. I just don't know why you're not supposed to so I thought the thousands of people on QB could give their opinions!!

sewmom 12-12-2011 05:39 AM

I've never used sheets in a quilt, but I know there are people who do. The reason "they"say not to are the thread counts in the sheets as apposed to fabric. The high thread count sheets would be extremely hard to hand quilt through. My opinion is, if that's what you want to do fine. Unless younger putting your quilt in a show, a Quilter can do what they want. I mainly don't because I like my back to coordinate with the front and I don't care to use solids. There's been lots of discussion on the board over this very topic.

GrandmaPeggy 12-12-2011 05:42 AM

We can't use sheets for backs or the quilt police will get us! Oh, that's right.... there are no quilt police! Seriously though, I have heard on this board that it is because of thread count not matching the quilt top and therefore, difficult to quilt. But I am just a newby myself, so maybe a more experienced quilter will give a better answer.

Kat Sews 12-12-2011 05:43 AM

The theory is that the thread count is to high. My thought is that thread count varies with the sheet you choose. I have used them at times without any problem for backing even for hand quilting. I look for the lowest thread count I can find. Sheets are not usually all cotton so for a purest that would be a problem. As far a using in the top it would depend on your skill level. Cotton has more "give" to it and is easier for beginners to work with. Blends last longer for quilts that are to be used and not just for show. The quilt purists (quilt police) will probably disagree with me, but I think you can use anything you are comfortable with.

COYOTEMAGIC 12-12-2011 05:49 AM

I use sheets all the time. For the back and for the batting. You'd be surprised how warm a layer or 2 of sheets can be. Lots of quilts I make for kids have sheets a backing. Shoot you can pick them up for a dine at the Goodwill or even Free on Freecycle.

Marni 12-12-2011 05:49 AM

I have on occasion used sheets and it's worked out well-however the sheets I've been finding lately are so tightly woven that I'm scared to use them-skipping stitches etc. It is definitely your choice-though in a judged quilt show they aren't appreciated so much. I have found lots of nice patterns as well as solids in the past.

amandasgramma 12-12-2011 06:30 AM

I believe that started when people were doing more handquilting (just my opinion). 32 yrs ago I made a quilt for my daughter. I slapped 2 Kmart sheets together and tied them. It was HARD to get the needle to go in, but I did it. She STILL has that quilt --- and it was dragged everywhere she went.........camping, sleepovers, etc. So, GO AHEAD and use sheets for quilts that are NOT going to be in shows. The QP at quilt shows may not accept them....but who knows!!! Oh -- I use sheets from thrift stores to practice on my longarm............LOL and the longarm quilting machine DOES quilt them just fine. But if I were to be putting them on a quilt, I would trim all selveges off and all hems.......those make the quilt backing tweak funny

susie-susie-susie 12-12-2011 06:37 AM

Be sure to trim the selveges off and quilt with the machine. I personally don't use sheets as I don't like to use solid colors and I like to match the backing with the quilt. I tried to piece a back once, but had a devil of a time getting it to lay flat!
Sue

GRANNYMO 12-12-2011 06:49 AM

I often use sheets for backing. I beleive most of the problem is they are difficult to get the needle thru when hand quiling. They work great for machine quilting

ptquilts 12-12-2011 06:54 AM

I used to use them when I first started out. They are hard to hand quilt through. I imagine they would be OK for machine quilting.