Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   She's starting early (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shes-starting-early-t45372.html)

QuiltingGrannie 05-09-2010 03:02 PM

I just have to share this.
Yesterday at work a mother and her DD were shopping for fabric. They picked out two totally different kinds/prints etc.
I asked them how much they needed cut. The mother looked from me to her DD who didn't hesitate to say."I need a quarter of a yard of each, please."

I asked her (the DD) want she was going to make. She said she was going to make a night gown for her doll.
Her mother asked her what she was going to make with the other fabric (a floral calico with blue and red flowers). DD said, "I don't know yet, I just like it."

I leaned over to her and said, " That's what we quilters and sewers call our 'stash'.

The DD said, "I know (Big smile) I have a lot of stash already!" she giggled.

I adored her. She was maybe 8 years old if that!

There is hope for the younger ones coming up behind us older folks!

craftybear 05-09-2010 03:03 PM

how precious, yep she is starting early!

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
I just have to share this.
Yesterday at work a mother and her DD were shopping for fabric. They picked out two totally different kinds/prints etc.
I asked them how much they needed cut. The mother looked from me to her DD who didn't hesitate to say."I need a quarter of a yard of each, please."

I asked her (the DD) want she was going to make. She said she was going to make a night gown for her doll.
Her mother asked her what she was going to make with the other fabric (a floral calico with blue and red flowers). DD said, "I don't know yet, I just like it."

I leaned over to her and said, " That's what we quilters and sewers call our 'stash'.

The DD said, "I know (Big smile) I have a lot of stash already!" she giggled.

I adored her. She was maybe 8 years old if that!

There is hope for the younger ones coming up behind us older folks!

sahm4605 05-09-2010 03:05 PM

OHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! that is way beyond cute. my dd loves to go and touch all the different fabric. it is fun. I think that that young girl is in for the wonderful world of quilting and sewing. She already had the fabric bug. hehe

maryb119 05-09-2010 03:09 PM

That is so cute. My GD has a stash already too. She keeps it in her sock drawer (her idea). She is fond of fabrics with kitties on it.

amma 05-09-2010 03:20 PM

THAT is so good to hear LMBO We can never start them out tooo young :D:D:D

littlehud 05-09-2010 03:26 PM

My DGD was visiting the fabric store with me when she was 5 years old and buying fat quarters for her stash then. She now know she can raid my stash because as she says "quilters always share". Aren't they funny.

pstoner 05-09-2010 05:00 PM

That's cute. I went to Hancock fabrics, with my DGD (she's almost three) and she told the clerk that we were at Hancock's and she needed 3/4 yard please. It was just to cute, that the clerk actually gave her a piece (6") of fabric. She often sits on my lap to help me sew.

It is a wonder what they pick up when they spend so much of their time "helping" us sew.

cjomomma 05-09-2010 05:30 PM

I loved that. So young and she is gonna carry on the tradition.

sharon b 05-09-2010 05:59 PM

And Mom encourages her, isn't that great ! It is the small things that make the best memories :lol: Hope she keeps it up

ginnie6 05-09-2010 06:34 PM

my 11yo just loves fabric! She's made one quilt already and is planning her next one. This one will be lap quilt she said.