Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Shirts from thrift store...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shirts-thrift-store-t216256.html)

JustAbitCrazy 03-14-2013 02:33 AM

I've never bought shirts---only large size long women's cotton dresses, which are about $4 at our Goodwill. I only use the flat areas of fabric, no collars, cuffs, etc.

twinkie 03-14-2013 02:52 AM

Goodwill in our area is high priced. I don't shop there. We have a Hope House that I use. I also go to our country auction where you can buy a box of shirts for $4 to $5. That is a real bargain as you can see the shirts before you buy.

sophia 03-14-2013 03:50 AM

I think all the Goodwill stores charge to much for the stuff that don't cost them anything. I quit giving to them.
we have a church that has a thrift store and they have been in business almost 20 years all proceeds go to help children. and send some to camp this is a good thing Goodwill stores are getting so high i know they help people but you know some folks can't afford a 4.00 shirt and 5.00 pants u can get brand new at the dollar general or family dolllar

Dragonomine 03-14-2013 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5925838)
The Salvation Army store is much cheaper then Goodwill. Goodwill here is overpriced on the clothing. We have a Savers store and when there is a 50% or bag sale, the shirts are a good buy. I won't pay over $1.50 for big size 100% cotton shirt. I find some very interesting prints in the men's shirts.

True. Our Salvation Army has 50% off clothing sales every Wed. If I need something I always make sure I go then. You have to watch though. They put clothing out even if it's stained.

Geri B 03-14-2013 05:08 AM

Yes, I like the subtle woven designs on men's dress shirts for background (I guess that is why it is called shirting fabric) as I was re-purposing the shirts I noticed all the buttons were pretty much the same, so at one point if I continue to do this I wll not save those buttons, unless they are different.....I only bought those that were 50% off...so instead of 3.99each was 1.99.

Aurora 03-14-2013 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose (Post 5925725)
What a great idea to gather fabrics for a scrappy quilt....I will have to make a run to our local thrift store.....do you think you could get a fat quarters worth of fabric from a shirt?

Definitely, and more. I use the inside back and use the portion with the manufacturer's label. Some of those are beautiful and add interest to the finished product.

pollyjvan9 03-14-2013 05:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another thing I do with thrift store shirts. Sold several at a craft show last year.

mjhaess 03-14-2013 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 5925507)
After reading B. Hunter's book Scraps &Shirttails, I decided to "try" cutting into shirts.... Found 5 at local Goodwill on 50 percent off deal, washed and cut into one...My question is....do you save all those buttons...how about the collar and cuffs that have the stiffening on it. I will finish "repurposing" these shirts but am not sure I will do this again. Any thoughts on this?

I would save all the buttons...They are expensive to buy and make good embelishments..

joycet 03-14-2013 05:39 AM

using used shirts

Go to Bonnie Hunter's site and there should be a place you can watch her video about deboning a shirt. She saves it all. Very interesting.

JLMiller 03-14-2013 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 (Post 5927439)
Here is another thing I do with thrift store shirts. Sold several at a craft show last year.

ohhhhh how dang cute are those.... what a great idea... if I may ask.. how much did you sell them for?