Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Shirts from thrift store...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shirts-thrift-store-t216256.html)

jeaninmaine 03-15-2013 12:54 PM

thp... I don't know what size shirt you are cutting up but I get a lot more than a fat quarter from a shirt.

trolleystation 03-15-2013 06:05 PM

I have been doing the 'buy used shirts for material' for some time. I love shirting material and never see any like those used in the construction of men's shirts. I am a senior and so I shop oof Senior Tuesday. Have two tubs of shirt fabric and am going to begin using it in the near future. Yes, I do save the buttons.

Sewnoma 03-15-2013 06:47 PM

Hahah...my boss wears solid colored cotton shirts in such great colors....I have told him that if he ever is going to get rid of any, I'll take 'em!

I have yet to buy shirts to make into quilts (although I KNOW I will at some point) - there is a Goodwill outlet near my house where they sell clothes by the pound and I eye those bins sometimes and ponder the possibilities. Usually I am looking just for interesting "stuff" though - I got a decent 15x17 light table there, in perfect condition, for $4! I love thrift stores!

Scakes 03-15-2013 07:13 PM

I always save buttons! I'll even buy a shirt just because I like the buttons. The shirts can be a little bit of work, but some of the fabrics are so cute that it is worth it I think.

Pattycakes 03-15-2013 08:10 PM

I went to Bonnies site and found her tutorial on how to take a shirt apart and what to use and not use. So just in case you don't have her site address here it is:

http://quiltville.com/index.html

I had to scroll down quite a ways before I found the tutorial. But it helped me take a shirt apart pretty fast. Man she is good. Good luck and have fun!

Central Ohio Quilter 03-15-2013 08:23 PM

I buy men's shirts at Goodwill, but only when they are on clearance for a dollar. I need to start using them. I have SO many!

I have measured the square inches that I get out of a shirt and it is the equivalent of between 1 and 2 yards of fabric, depending on the size of the shirt and the cut of the shirt. Those XXL and larger shirts have a lot of usable fabric to them!

I always save the buttons and the labels.

A hint on to save the buttons and keep the sets together - at a dollar store I found a bag of 120 little zip lock clear plastic bags that are about 2 by 3 inches, just a great size to hold a shirt's worth of buttons. Then you don't have to sort through hundreds of buttons to find a matching set.

lauriejo 03-16-2013 04:24 AM

When I take the buttons from a shirt, or whatever, I run a string through all of them and tie them up. Even if they are different sizes, I keep them all together. Then I throw them in the button jar to admire them. A couple months ago I bought a blouse that was way too small for me just to get the buttons. I then transferred them to a blouse that did fit. Like getting new clothes!

auntpiggylpn 03-16-2013 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by lauriejo (Post 5931486)
When I take the buttons from a shirt, or whatever, I run a string through all of them and tie them up. Even if they are different sizes, I keep them all together. Then I throw them in the button jar to admire them. A couple months ago I bought a blouse that was way too small for me just to get the buttons. I then transferred them to a blouse that did fit. Like getting new clothes!

I will buy a shirt too just for the buttons. Especially if they are fancy! Nice buttons can be as much as $3 and up apiece when buying new. If I can get a not so pretty piece of clothing for $3 but it has pretty buttons it is worth it to me!

fromzstore 03-16-2013 04:38 AM

our local thrift store has 1/2 every monday so i have gotten into wool applique and go and get what i can find that is 100% wool alot cheeper than buying the already felted wool and felt it myself works great

jeaninmaine 03-16-2013 04:41 AM

I was looking at some of the shirt quilts on Google and one lady had done a piano key type border with the labels and a little of the area around them.