Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Shishewanna? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shishewanna-t16304.html)

grma33 02-07-2009 03:21 AM

okay so hubby said he would take me on a bike trip. I live in Canada south od Detroit so can you get there by not going on the toll?
AlsoI know I will be onerwhelmed. What stores do you like the best?
Is there fabric in the market also? Is it open only tues and Wed?
Thanks to who ever answers me.
Gale

Polly C 02-07-2009 05:55 AM

Do you mean Shipshewana, Indiana? If so I have visited there several times - my cousin lives close to there. The Outdoor flea market is only open on Tues & Wed but the town has lots of shops & stores which are open every day except Sunday. We always hit the fabric shops first. There is Yoder Dept store which has lots of fabric & Lolly's is downtown in a really great historic building. Lots of quality hand made Amish goods of all kinds and many antiques also. LOVE going there. There is a web site for more info.
www.Shipshewana.com
Have fun!!

Polly

grma33 02-07-2009 06:43 AM

thank you yes I meant indianna.
Have sent for free map and brochure.
Gale

Skeat 02-07-2009 08:17 AM

omgoodness! I was reading the topic thinking 'does she-she wanna a what?'...I'm a license plate fanatic and thought...what?!:))Duh!:0)I might be slow...but, will get it soon enough! Skeat

thimblebug6000 02-07-2009 08:22 AM

We spent a day there & I met up with a couple ladies from another quilt forum, it was wonderful! There is a local campground there if you're looking for reasonable accommodation. As to the toll roads, let me tell you we spent way too much time trying to take roads without tolls and some of them had huge pot holes. We laughed when we finally ended up on the toll road as the toll was very reasonable. I know there's a site someplace that has all the tolls for that area roads, one place we only had to pay a quarter.

sharon b 02-07-2009 01:36 PM

Yes you can get there without tolls and since the state leased it out to some foreign group I would recommend NOT using it since the rates have went way up. What highway would you be coming in on in Michigan ? I love Lollys and Yoders for fabric. But there are a lot of smaller stores that also have fabric. If you get a chance go to Das Essenhaus for lunch or dinner. Or Amish Acres. The food is wonderful. Get the family style meal. When are you planning the road trip ?
Sharon

grma33 02-08-2009 04:19 AM

Thanks Sharon for the info.
Will be going maybe 1st part of June.Taking a tent so will have lots to spend.
Not sure what highway as we`ve never been before.
I did check out lollys and yodders. Hope ther`res something for hubby to look at while i`m fabric hunting.
Gale

thimblebug6000 02-08-2009 08:33 AM

There's tons of stuff for the "guys" to look at and Yoders has benches out in the hallway.

Mplsgirl 02-08-2009 10:02 AM

Went there 2 years ago and had a wonderful time! Lots of fabric and lots of food. It don't get any better than that!