Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   should I enter a quilt contest? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-enter-quilt-contest-t36824.html)

Berta48 02-16-2010 06:05 PM

MY OPINION Just having to ask should answer the question :lol:
If it was made and finished in 2007 then it would not qualify in 2008. :)

DA Mayer 02-16-2010 08:53 PM

I am glad our local quilt competitions are 3 years back, another one you have to use a current or special fabric in the piecing so that would have to be made in the same year.

suesews 02-16-2010 10:04 PM

Back in 1995 I started making a Grandmothers Flower Garden quilt, hand piecing and hand quilted. I finished it in Feb. 1997. and thought I might enter it in the Los Angeles County Fair. A few months later, after I had obtained the written rules for entering, I was diagnosed with lung cancer, and was having surgury on the last day to enter. After all that was over, and I survived thank God, I thought about entering it in the 1998 fair, but the rules said must be completed in that year, so I never entered it. I thought about doing it, but I didn't think it was right.

Sue

Margie 02-16-2010 10:11 PM

SUE I am so glad you have survived God bless you. I am a cancer survivor too.

Margie

Knot Sew 02-17-2010 05:21 AM

I'm not big on reading the fine print, but I know at the quilt shows around here as long as they never have been shown you can enter, so find another show. I lkways read the stories. on the little cards, of quilts 3 or 4 years old or more.
The prizes are mostly, ribbons show it in a non judged setting.

what do you thinking of adding more stitching? Does that make it a go.....

Schnookie 02-17-2010 01:40 PM

I have a friend that is submitting a quilt to the Historical Quilt Society, she was told that if she put a label on it now it would not be a historical quilt, because (the last stitch in it) is when it is considered finished quilt. So she has made a label that will be set next to the quilt instead of stitched on the quilt. Thinking about your question, I would check to see what they consider a finished quilt, if it needs a label then your quilt is not finished, thus it would meet the requirements. Call them and see what they have to say, and by all means you must tell them that it has never been shown before...good luck __^..^__

johnniek 02-21-2010 01:01 PM

Very good, and i agree. Ha.

Oklahoma Suzie 02-21-2010 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by thequilteddove
Have you put your label on it yet? If the answer is no, then it's not finished! lolol

love that answer, or you could add some stuff to it, like beads or something.

AlienQuilter 12-22-2010 05:42 AM

That is one weird rule.

I'm like a lot of quilters - have a lot of works in progress that some of them take years to finish. (That's why I chose my forum name! Only an alien should have that many UFO's!)

I personally would not enter any quilts in a contest that had that rule. It's not like a car show where there is a diffinent year involved.

If they are going to have a rule like that, then they need a really good way of making sure it's followed. Like having them use a new line of fabric that didn't come out until 2008.

I'm glad you are not entering this contest. Makes you wonder how many have entered it that "bent" that rule!

Schnookie 12-27-2010 01:41 PM

Well did you enter the quilt?