Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I I need your opion please...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-i-need-your-opion-please-t79898.html)

quiltingaz 12-01-2010 03:12 PM

I understand your dilemma. You want to hand quilt because that is what she would have done. But in real life, sometimes that is not practical especially if you are not experienced at hand quilting. So do whatever you can do best.

Kas 12-01-2010 05:09 PM

Show us a picture! That will help with the opinions. I'm guessing that all the fabric is in good condition.

sewbizgirl 12-01-2010 05:25 PM

It's been through so many generations and it isn't even a quilt yet! Great Grand pieced by hand, Grand pieced by machine, now the next generation is YOU, it's modern day, so quilt it by machine! Just my opinion but that makes sense to me.

Quilts each have their own story, don't they? This one has a real interesting history...

lab fairy 12-01-2010 08:41 PM

What is the pattern? Is this an intricate hard to hand quilt thing or were you going to just quilt along the edges of the block? If the quilt isn't a "show stopper" quilt (lets be honest, there are many out there no matter who made them) then you might want to machine quilt it or even tie it. There are many roads to finishing old quilts.

illinois 12-02-2010 05:59 AM

I'd hand quilt it because of the era of the quilt. The machine piecing isn't going to show but great-grandma would have hand quilted that. Machine quilting will get the job done but this one is a family treasure that deserves the attention of hand quilting. Just as it really jolts me to see someone having spent hours/years embroidering quilt blocks and then have it machine quilted. It just doesn't "follow suit". I guess that's why I'd hand quilt the quilt you have now--it goes with the character of the quilt.

sewbizgirl 12-02-2010 06:10 AM

Please post a picture of the quilt top and show us this old lovely quilt that's been worked on by generations in your family...

deema 12-02-2010 06:37 AM

Your great grandmother started in her way of piecing/sewing. Your grandmother finished piecing it in HER way of doing it. You should finish it off in YOUR way - so if you normally machine quilt...do it! What a great project...full of techniques of different generations. THAT will be one real heirloom quilt, no matter how you quilt it.

quiltingfan 12-02-2010 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kas
Show us a picture! That will help with the opinions. I'm guessing that all the fabric is in good condition.

Not really,, It has areas that is faded and is very noticeable. My computer crashed and I am using my hubbies, so I do not have any of the pics right now. It is a wedding ring quilt, but the colors are a dark green and the rings are in a washed out gold and red. I do not like it very much actually. I love the fact that it is from my grandmother and will cherish it because of that. Will give it to my dad but will get it back at some point.

quiltingfan 12-02-2010 11:33 AM

I must say I am surprised by you people. I really thought that the majority would tell me to hand quilt it, but most or if not all tell me to machine quilt it. Thanks so much. I will do that. My husband says what ever it takes to get it finished.

Judie 12-02-2010 04:46 PM

I'd hand quilt it.. and don't worry about each stitch being perfect.. when it is all quilted it will look great and you'll get better as you go.. I am handquilting my grandmothers quilt tops, but machine quilt most of mine.. I think those old vintage quilts just call for hand quilting.