Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Show me a picture of what you think stipling should look like. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/show-me-picture-what-you-think-stipling-should-look-like-t207944.html)

NUBQ 12-10-2012 09:28 AM

What a funny Mardi Gras lobster quilt! The beads look 3D.......possibly added later? Great job!

Aside comment....I broke 9 Organ needles yesterday trying to FMQ...Finally slowed down, and it was better, but would take a month of Sundays to free motion anything...plus the bottom stitching looks like it just lays there , while the front stiching is really nice on my Juki...It will be awhile til I waste that much time again, I'm afraid. It will remain just SITD...

NUBQ 12-10-2012 09:30 AM

PS.I have the small slider and it works great...You will enjoy the whole kit, I'm sure...

Jingle 12-10-2012 10:03 AM

I do what I call a large stipple. I love doing it and I love the look. As long as I like it that is all that matters to me.

w7sue 12-10-2012 04:03 PM

This was one of the hardest things for me to learn on my longarm ... I finally figured out that I'm a loopy loo kind of gal -- I like being able to cross the lines and I even have graduated to hearts and stars every once in awhile. I did a polyester trip around the world quilt recently where I put freezer paper over the top of the quilt (once it was loaded onto the longarm) and using a sharpie I drew my meandering lines onto the freezer paper. I had to do it several times before I got a design I was happy with. Once I did that, I put it on the back table so I could follow it like a pantograph - it turned out pretty good - even if I do say so myself. Practice, practice, practice.

stchenfool 12-20-2012 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2 (Post 5706736)
Here's one I did.

Beautiul piece!

soccertxi 12-21-2012 03:52 PM

I try to remember that I quilt with my face close to the fabric..but when its viewed by others, they are looking at the overall effect. I do quilt some for others. I do not have a computer on my long arm. I KNOW I make mistakes, so I tell my customers If you can FIND it, I will fix it. I have not had one come back yet.

#1piecemaker 12-21-2012 04:34 PM

I'm not the greatest at it either but mine passes. Yours will get better with practice.

Lilrain 12-21-2012 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingByCourtney (Post 5707329)
I was told to think of the end of a dog bone and just keep doing that over and over...I practiced on paper and that helped my hand to start learning a pattern because my brain always wanted my hands to do straight lines....so after I doodled on paper for a while I think it helped me...and I kept that image of the end of a dog bone in my head :o

A gal in my guild, who has won ribbons in national shows said getting the moves down is a lot easier if you practice on paper, So I totally agree with this post

jjsnacks 12-21-2012 05:10 PM

I have never done stippling ...do you use a frame when doing it ?

Sewfine 12-21-2012 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by NUBQ (Post 5710814)
What a funny Mardi Gras lobster quilt! The beads look 3D.......possibly added later? Great job!

Aside comment....I broke 9 Organ needles yesterday trying to FMQ...Finally slowed down, and it was better, but would take a month of Sundays to free motion anything...plus the bottom stitching looks like it just lays there , while the front stiching is really nice on my Juki...It will be awhile til I waste that much time again, I'm afraid. It will remain just SITD...

I fill the same way also. The fabric and thread that is wasted trying to learn can add up. I decide to make pot holder and hot pads for the children to practice on. Anything I give them with what is suppose to look like stippling they are just thrilled to death just rubbing their hand over it.