Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Show me your hand-stitched labels. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/show-me-your-hand-stitched-labels-t178826.html)

seaside quilter 02-10-2012 05:12 AM

Show me your hand-stitched labels.

I want to hand-stitch the label for my DD's quilt, but I'm not sure how to do it. What stitch do I use, like a back stitch or something? I think I will write the message on the fabric and then stitch over. I'd love to see pictures of YOUR hand-stitched labels.

Thanks in advance.

Jackie Spencer 02-10-2012 05:29 AM

I use my e-mail, Edwardian Script, to do the writing for my labels, you can make it as large as you want. Then I print it out, and use my light table to trace it onto my freezer paper backed fabric for my label. Then I remove the freezer paper and embroider. I love the Edwardian Script.

mummadee 02-10-2012 05:41 AM

I did mine in counted cross stitch then blind stitch hem sewed it on by hand

#1piecemaker 02-10-2012 06:04 AM

I've never done one by hand before. I'm curious as to how its done too.

annthreecats 02-10-2012 06:15 AM

I bought embroidered labels from a board member for my two quilts I am giving away. They were $5.00 each and well worth it. They say just what I need and they were well done.

Caroline S 02-10-2012 06:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Attached are three quilt labels I have made. I like to make my labels reflect the theme of the quilt. I use MS Word to print the writing on the treated fabric and then write over it with a permanent fabric marking pen. The labels are sewn to the quilt back using a hand blind stitch.

On the last label I used a motif from the Oceanica fabric and did reverse applique to expose the wording. The picture is of the label before it was sewn to the quilt.

seaside quilter 02-10-2012 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer (Post 4960961)
I use my e-mail, Edwardian Script, to do the writing for my labels, you can make it as large as you want. Then I print it out, and use my light table to trace it onto my freezer paper backed fabric for my label. Then I remove the freezer paper and embroider. I love the Edwardian Script.

Jackie:
That's exactly what I want to do. I don't think I know the embroidery stitch. Is it like a backstitch?

seaside quilter 02-10-2012 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 4961209)
Attached are three quilt labels I have made. I like to make my labels reflect the theme of the quilt. I use MS Word to print the writing on the treated fabric and then write over it with a permanent fabric marking pen. The labels are sewn to the quilt back using a hand blind stitch.

On the last label I used a motif from the Oceanica fabric and did reverse applique to expose the wording. The picture is of the label before it was sewn to the quilt.

Can you tell us about the "treated fabric?"

Caroline S 02-10-2012 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by seaside quilter (Post 4961492)
Can you tell us about the "treated fabric?"

I use the Bubble Jet products to treat my fabric. I also have used pre-treated ink jet fabric from Printed Treasures and Electric Quilt. The only thing I don't care for is the EQ fabric is the premium quality lawn and very tightly woven. Same for the Printed Treasures. It is hard to needle.