Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Signing Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/signing-quilts-t21326.html)

tweety 06-14-2009 04:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My question is how and where do you sign your quilts.I've only made a few for family. I am in the process of one for a friends grandbaby and not sure how to sign it. Here's some pics of one for my niece's baby.(hope this works, my first post and pic try).
Linda

sewnsewer2 06-14-2009 06:16 AM

I machine embroider my label with 'quilted by' and my name and date. Each year I change the label, but use the same one throughout that year.

Lacelady 06-14-2009 06:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I machine embroider too. I put the name of the quilt, my name, I add the word 'copyright' if it is mine, and the date, then the size (handy if you want to enter it into shows) and finally my email address. I always sew it to the bottom left corner (when looking at the wrong side), so that I know it is in the bottom right corner from the right side.

In the attached photo, the wording was different, because I was doing it for a group quilt, but this will give you the general idea.

This one was made for a raffle quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36689[/ATTACH]

amma 06-14-2009 07:27 AM

You can be as creative with your label as you want. The main point is to label your quilt so that other's down the road know/remember who made this beautiful quilt. Whether it is hand written, embroidered, printed out on fabric...it is your choice :D :D :D

tweety 06-14-2009 07:36 AM

This one and the other family babies. I've just put made by Great-Aunt Linda.
The quilt also has date of birth, Baby's name , Some have weight.
But wasn't sure what to put on one for a friend.
Linda

amma 06-14-2009 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by tweety
This one and the other family babies. I've just put made by Great-Aunt Linda.
The quilt also has date of birth, Baby's name , Some have weight.
But wasn't sure what to put on one for a friend.
Linda

your name, the quilts name (if you name them), the date you made it, some even put the city/state where you live. Information that can help track/recognize the quiltmaker :D

Lacelady 06-14-2009 12:44 PM

Thank you Loretta, and yes, there is still a Yeats Festival each summer.
Tweety, I think that you should put as much info. as you are comfortable with, but also bear in mind what details you wold like to find on a quilt label if you found a quilt you wanted to buy.

If I had a choice of two antique quilts, the same price, but one had no label, and the other had the name of the maker, the date, and perhaps other details, I know which one I would choose.

Lacelady 06-14-2009 12:50 PM

They will be one day, because your family will treasure them!

QuiltMania 06-14-2009 04:59 PM

I'm definitely low tech in signing. I cut a square of muslin and write on it with a fabric marker. Then I hand sew the muslin on the back in the bottom left corner.

beachlady 06-14-2009 05:05 PM

Me too - low tech! But if you could it would be nice to include the baby's name and date of birth.