Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Signing small quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/signing-small-quilts-t18633.html)

kathyd 04-06-2009 06:29 PM

I am making some small wall hanging and doll quilts to sell later this year at re-enacting events that DH and I participate in. How do some of you others who sell your quilts go about signing and dating these types of items? I want to get credit for my works and I don't want them to be mistaken (LOL) for older pieces since I do use reproduction fabrics. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

redrummy 04-06-2009 07:22 PM

I would put a small label with your name, date made, and say reproduction fabrics then the quilt name

Ninnie 04-09-2009 05:03 PM

I don't sell my work, but I have a small stamp about 3 in long and 1in high that I stamp on back and then write all info inside of it. It is permanent and can't be removed which may be good for what you want it for.Ninnie

Shemjo 04-09-2009 09:42 PM

Great ideas. :lol: It is a good idea to put a label or stamp on all your work. I like the stamp idea for small quilts. The Chinese put a chop stamp on all their work! ( A little different application, but for the same reason.)

Mousie 04-12-2009 05:11 AM

kathy, really great ideas. If I was in Illinois, I would go watch your family. I am really intrigued by all that you do. We have the re-enactments here in Florida, but so much more fun, when you know somebody. You must really love it, to do all that sewing etc. Still think you should show us some of your costumes...hint, hint :D

GailG 04-12-2009 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
I don't sell my work, but I have a small stamp about 3 in long and 1in high that I stamp on back and then write all info inside of it. It is permanent and can't be removed which may be good for what you want it for.Ninnie

Great idea. Please tell me more about the stamp and the ink that you use.

azdesertrat 04-12-2009 06:02 AM

Should always sign all your work,just because

Ninnie 04-12-2009 07:06 AM

GailG, It is shaped like an old fashioned scroll and you can write in the middle of it. It comes with an ink pad. I ordered it from keepsake quilting years ago, and it beats having to sew labels on. besides labels can come off or be taken off. It is really cute, you can use it on signature quilts also. Will post a picture if you want. Ninnie

mpspeedy 04-12-2009 08:28 AM

I usually make a label on my embroidery machine and then sew it on items I donate for quilt bingos etc. I have just hand drawn a scroll like design directly on the back of the quilt and written my information on it with the pigma pens. This only works if the backing is a light enough color. The good part is if I mess it up I can applique another label over the top of it to hide my boo boo.

I would say only about half of my collection actually has a label on it. Those are the ones that were hung in a guild show or exhibit.

GailG 04-12-2009 09:03 PM

Thanks Ninnie. I was just wondering if they are still out there for sale. I've seen various rubber stamps at craft stores, but I was really curious about the ink. Thanks again.