Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Simple quilt shop question: (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/simple-quilt-shop-question-t171068.html)

GrandmaSewNSew 12-05-2011 02:26 PM

Simple quilt shop question:

A quilt shop that is across the country from me listed a coupon in their newsletter. I emailed them to see if I can use it for an online order. They said "no" but stop in if I'm in the area. (I will never be in the area!) I'd like to understand why they wouldn't want me to use the coupon for an online order. By the way it was for 40% off one item. I would be paying shipping. Any thoughts?

Debbie B 12-05-2011 02:34 PM

I guess they have their reasons, but I would think that whether on-line or in-store (especially with you paying shipping) that it would be the same thing...to me a sell is a sell.

SouthPStitches 12-05-2011 02:47 PM

Maybe they just don't want to deal with packaging and taking it someplace for shipping? Also, maybe they'd have to collect and file something out of the ordinary for taxes for out of state?

Carol J. 12-05-2011 03:31 PM

The shop may be in a town without their own post office and the extra time and cost to them to drive miles to a post office would take from any profit they might make. A shop don't make any money with 40% coupons. Besides that, the shop may be owned and run by on person, who would be the one to pack and ship the package. Online shopping is not an option for some shops.

Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations 12-05-2011 03:35 PM

Seems like bad business to me. As in todays world I think most people do more and more shopping online all the time. At times I would almost prefer t do it this was as gas is not cheap and you can shop and look for as long as you want without dealing with crowds and rude people.

postal packin' mama 12-05-2011 04:05 PM

The coupon should have printed right on it that it's only good for in-store purchases as a customer courtesy to save them making a phone call.

geeblay627e120 12-05-2011 04:27 PM

I would guess the purpose of the coupon is to get people in the shop; and hopefully they will leave with a lot more than just the one item.

Just Me... 12-05-2011 04:28 PM

Sometimes the shops have lower prices online than in the store.....they aren't profitting from the shipping, so maybe that's it...

GrandmaSewNSew 12-05-2011 05:08 PM

They DO offer online shopping. That's how I found them in the first place. They just won't let me use their coupon online.

Originally Posted by Carol J. (Post 4754452)
The shop may be in a town without their own post office and the extra time and cost to them to drive miles to a post office would take from any profit they might make. A shop don't make any money with 40% coupons. Besides that, the shop may be owned and run by on person, who would be the one to pack and ship the package. Online shopping is not an option for some shops.

GrandmaSewNSew 12-05-2011 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Just Me... (Post 4754609)
Sometimes the shops have lower prices online than in the store.....they aren't profitting from the shipping, so maybe that's it...

and

I would guess the purpose of the coupon is to get people in the shop; and hopefully they will leave with a lot more than just the one item.
Guess this must be it, either or both. The fabric I would have bought was $9.99/yd. Many place sell their fabric when it's on sale at $6/yd. so it seemed reasonable to me.
I can always find more things to buy and would have done so, so they did lose that sale too. Oh well, I don't see it as a good business practice either but I don't know much about business, just what I do and do not consider reasonable.