Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Simple Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/simple-quilting-t211579.html)

bunniequilter 01-21-2013 07:26 AM

Simple Quilting

With all the quilting tools that we have now, the new ones just coming along, I cant help but wonder if our quilting ancestors would even recognise what we do as quilting? Of course it makes the job easier to roll a rotary cutter along a ruler instead of tracing templates and cutting with scissors, I get that. But are we still quilting? To me quilting isnt just a craft or an art, its a process, its a state of mind. I need to fold, press, measure and feel the rotary cutter as it slices thru the fabric. I need to go thru each of the steps of making a quilt. Yes I use "modern" tools but I try to keep my quilting as plain and simple as I can. Cant help but wonder what quilting will be 50 years from now, how will quilting compare to what we know as quilting?

amandasgramma 01-21-2013 07:39 AM

I think our ancestors would have jumped onto the rotary cutters, rulers and longarms the same way we have. There's some quilters that still love the hand quilting idea (I'm one of them but can't do it!!!). Where it will go in the future --- I have no idea, but I think it's exciting!!!! I love the traditional quilts..........I love some of the newer modern quilts, too. It's an evolving craft, that's for sure!

mighty 01-21-2013 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma (Post 5802147)
I think our ancestors would have jumped onto the rotary cutters, rulers and longarms the same way we have. There's some quilters that still love the hand quilting idea (I'm one of them but can't do it!!!). Where it will go in the future --- I have no idea, but I think it's exciting!!!! I love the traditional quilts..........I love some of the newer modern quilts, too. It's an evolving craft, that's for sure!

Ditto that!!!

memepat 01-21-2013 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by mighty (Post 5802178)
Ditto that!!!

Hi all, I know my grandmother hopped on the band wagon when electric sewing machines came out. I'm sure she is asking God to borrow His rotary cutter/ruler and making an appointment to use the longarm. LOL. Happy quilting no matter your method or ideas.

sewingsuz 01-21-2013 08:16 AM

I took a couple quilting classes at the local college her 27 yrs ago and left quilting after about 3 yrs and now I have come back and have seen just in that time lapse how different things are. It is amazing how things change and the tools we have and the machines. I was sewing all those years but not quilting.

Jingle 01-21-2013 12:02 PM

I started out quilting at age 21 and have seen all the new modern things come along. Believe me right now is the best it has ever been. If you would like to go back to quilting a hundred years ago. Have at it. Not for me, and I consider all my quilts to be quilts. I am not a purists and never want to be. Make your quilts however you want.