Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Simple take along ideas needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/simple-take-along-ideas-needed-t150120.html)

LLWinston44 09-03-2011 11:25 AM

So I had promised my 9 year old, at the beginning of summer, a trip to the waterslides before summer was over. I waited till the last minute didn't I!?!? Well, when I learned that they charge according to height and not age, which makes him (at 5 feet tall) a full priced ticket I decided that I would let him and dh play while I stayed inside and...well... Sit. I am sooooooo bored!!! Ive got the iPad and a book, but alll I can think about is that I wish I had something to sew!!!
Remember, I am a beginner and thus far the only hand work I've done is binding. What is something easy to learn by myself so I never have to do this again?!?! Lol

loves_2_quilt 09-03-2011 11:27 AM

I have circles cut for yoyos that I take along when we visit my father-in-law. I don't know what I am going to do with them, but some day I will have enough for a LARGE project!

GGinMcKinney 09-03-2011 11:30 AM

Cathedral window tutorials are on you tube. You can pre-cut squares and put a few in a zip lock bag. I prethread about six needles and put in a pin cushion or on a magnet and put into another zip lock bag. Take scissors or something to cut the thread. I can even do a few in the car wash!!

Jo M 09-03-2011 11:36 AM

I keep a little bag of Sugar'nCream cotton yarn and a crochet hook on hand that I can grab & take along. I make simple potholders. They're quick, easy and everyone loves them as gifts. The pattern is inside the label and it's pretty forgiving if you skip a stitch or make a mistake.

Glassquilt 09-03-2011 11:58 AM

A GFG (grandmother's flower garden). You can use scraps to make the hexagons, then flowers and eventually sew them together. I've got one that I started in 2006 strictly for something to do. :)

Gramie bj 09-03-2011 12:25 PM

I tale GFG and some randum shapes with in and out points,and a 12 by 12 sq, I am trying to teach myself finger turn applique not doing so good yet but give me time LOL

icon17 09-03-2011 01:07 PM

YoYo's only takes a little say 4x4 inch fabric scrap to work with you can look in the tutorials for 'how to's' or on-line! 8-)
OR at the fabric store they have a New way to make it easyer a little plastic 'thing-a-magig' you could get!

LLWinston44 09-03-2011 03:12 PM

I'll have to look those up. I guess I really need to build a stash. I fairly much buy what I need and don't endnup with huge scraps.

With the GFG's don't I need to cut and iron them? I saw Fons and Porter the other day and they were showing us how to do it, BT it really looked like an "at home" thing...?

auntpiggylpn 09-04-2011 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt
I have circles cut for yoyos that I take along when we visit my father-in-law. I don't know what I am going to do with them, but some day I will have enough for a LARGE project!

I have a basket of squares and circles with needle, thread and scissors that I leave in my car so I don't have to worry about packing anything!!! I will have enough yo-yo's someday to make a coverlet!!!

Glassquilt 09-04-2011 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44
With the GFG's don't I need to cut and iron them? I saw Fons and Porter the other day and they were showing us how to do it, BT it really looked like an "at home" thing...?

I take precut pieces with me and just do the stitching by hand.