Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Simplest requests can turn nightmarish! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/simplest-requests-can-turn-nightmarish-t210233.html)

nativetexan 01-06-2013 10:50 AM

the creams and tans sound great with a touch of soft green added, perhaps as a skinny inner border or a flange.

Jackie Spencer 01-06-2013 11:54 AM

Don't think a Carpenters Star is the size she is looking for. 2' x 4' Thats about the size of some Tablerunners, have you checked out patterns for those or Bedrunners would work also.

nativetexan 01-06-2013 12:45 PM

I would suggest crazy quilt blocks in the light colors . you can make them into a rectangle quilt easily for her.

Jan in VA 01-06-2013 01:51 PM

How about 4 stars in a row (or hearts if you'd prefer) that are all done in medium beige colors with backgrounds all mixed light ecrus and near-whites. Our former guild president made one like this and it won Best of Show. The textures of the differences in beige values makes a subtle and beautiful quilt. You could use her green as a narrow or flange border.

Jan in VA

canuckninepatch 01-07-2013 04:29 AM

[QUOTE=Prism99;5766625]I would probably use a variety of creams and light tans to create a background out of squares, then applique a tree branch and cardinal on top of that.[/QUOTE

I love that idea! I think pieced backgrounds out of fabrics that are all of similar colors (eg. Creams and light tans) but are slightly different would make a gorgeous background for an appliqued design.

Mkotch 01-07-2013 04:35 AM

A celtic design appliqued onto a background of pieced beiges would look quite sophisticated!

sandrab64 01-07-2013 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5766625)
I would probably use a variety of creams and light tans to create a background out of squares, then applique a tree branch and cardinal on top of that.

i do believe Prism99 is the winner! Will post pics when I am done. Have the applique template and other measurements done and am excited to get the fabric and get started. Thank you all for your fun suggestions. Love this board!

roserips 01-07-2013 08:03 AM

I like the idea of a simple background you could use several different prints and tone on tones in the cream family then do your applique of a branch going 2/3 of the way across and the bird maybe make it have cherry blossoms. You have good ideas. Trust your instincts and go for it. Hope to see the pictures when you finish.

IBQUILTIN 01-07-2013 08:38 AM

Take a look at some table runner patterns. They are usually pretty simple, and I think the cream would be great with some soft pink and maybe a yellow.

Marysewfun 01-07-2013 11:51 AM

[QUOTE=canuckninepatch;5768373]

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5766625)
I would probably use a variety of creams and light tans to create a background out of squares, then applique a tree branch and cardinal on top of that.[/QUOTE

I love that idea! I think pieced backgrounds out of fabrics that are all of similar colors (eg. Creams and light tans) but are slightly different would make a gorgeous background for an appliqued design.

I like that idea, too !! :-)

Marysewfun