Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Simplicity Bias maker (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/simplicity-bias-maker-t162406.html)

susanlh 10-22-2011 12:30 PM

Does anyone use the simplicity bias maker and do you like it? I am considering getting one and would like opinions. Do you always have to cut your strips on the bias or will it work for straight of grain? I think cutting on bias wastes fabric unless you are binding curves. Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

LyndaOH 10-22-2011 12:33 PM

I have it and love it! I almost never cut on the bias and it has no problem with straight of grain. It's a real time saver.

Deborahlees 10-22-2011 12:57 PM

Almost always cut straight on grain (across)...only time I do bias is if binding is going on a curve. I use the binding tips on my ironing board, much more cost effective....however next binding I am not even use them but fold in half and then fold in half. Theory is, where the wear is, on the edge will be double fold, as compared to single layer only if rare edges are folded to center and then folded again.....Took some thinging to kinda work it thru in your head....but does work....am also going to get a pair of thermal thimbles to protect my fingers.....

BellaBoo 10-22-2011 01:22 PM

I have it and it does a great job. I bought the 2 1/2" tip so I can make the double fold straight binding. I take a few hours and make up lots binding in different prints and colors. It's a real time saver.

LyndaOH 10-22-2011 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
Almost always cut straight on grain (across)...only time I do bias is if binding is going on a curve. I use the binding tips on my ironing board, much more cost effective....however next binding I am not even use them but fold in half and then fold in half. Theory is, where the wear is, on the edge will be double fold, as compared to single layer only if rare edges are folded to center and then folded again.....Took some thinging to kinda work it thru in your head....but does work....am also going to get a pair of thermal thimbles to protect my fingers.....

Have you tried folding it in half with the raw edges on one edge rather than meeting in the middle? You still get double layer on the edge and your raw edge will be hidden anyway when you sew it down.

Deborahlees 10-22-2011 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH

Originally Posted by Deborahlees

Have you tried folding it in half with the raw edges on one edge rather than meeting in the middle? You still get double layer on the edge and your raw edge will be hidden anyway when you sew it down.

Yes, that is what I was trying to saying,,,,,but not too well.

Deborahlees 10-22-2011 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH
I have it and love it! I almost never cut on the bias and it has no problem with straight of grain. It's a real time saver.

will it just fold in half and iron, rather than fold to middle....do you have to pre-iron your seams flat before running thru....

susanlh 10-22-2011 02:17 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I have a coupon for JoAnnes for 40% off plus an additional 30% total. It makes the total less than $50. I am still thinking whether it would be worth it. I usually just cut strip, fold in half and then sew on, then turn over and sew down. Will need to make a decision soon since my coupons expire this week.

Deborahlees 10-22-2011 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by susanlh
Thanks for all the responses. I have a coupon for JoAnnes for 40% off plus an additional 30% total. It makes the total less than $50. I am still thinking whether it would be worth it. I usually just cut strip, fold in half and then sew on, then turn over and sew down. Will need to make a decision soon since my coupons expire this week.

I think you would be better servered using that money on fabric....I don't think (IMHO) that they will honor both coupons on the one item....

sew1096 10-22-2011 03:43 PM

I love mine. I use it alot to make the 1/4" strips for appliqued vines.