Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Singer 160th Anniversary Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/singer-160th-anniversary-sewing-machine-t178263.html)

Blackberry 02-05-2012 01:59 PM

Singer 160th Anniversary Sewing Machine

I have had my beautiful, black, shiny 160th anniversary sewing machine now for a week. It is so pretty and I really like it. It seems to be a little bit noisier that my older Singers but not enough that it bothers me. I love the 1/4" marking on the needle plate as well as the 1/4" foot. Since I do mostly quilting, I probably won't use many of the other accessories that came with this machine. The big red bag is absolutely beautiful with the big red S for Singer on it. I have tried sewing thru several thicknesses of material and I was surprised as it just went right thru without any effort at all. Then I put binding on a little sandwich piece that I had quilted and again, it sews so smoothly without any signs of laboring, etc. I am impressed so far. I noticed that it has the snap on feet feature and so I was wondering if the same snap on feet that I have for the Brother CS6000i would work so I tried and, WOW, they work perfectly. What a bonus. I really didn't need this sewing machine but I just thought it looked so cool and would be the perfect addition to my vintage Singer collection and I was not wrong. It looks so cool beside my FW, 201, 15-91, 99. So I just love this machine. My DH asked me what I wanted for Valentine's day and I told him, it was sitting on the table. I am piecing a 9 patch quilt for my grandson on it now. I just love the slick, shiny curved base so the material moves freely. On my brother sometimes the material gets caught on the extention. The box says it is metal but I think they must be talking about the internal gears as the outer shell and bobbins are plastic. Well, I just thought I would pass along my experience so far with this machine. I need to get back to work on my grandson's quilt. It is for next Christmas but I just need to get back to sewing on this machine.

DonnaR 02-05-2012 02:15 PM

Congratulations, The machine sounds wonderful. I am so happy for you.

DonnaC 02-05-2012 02:34 PM

I can't wait for mine to get here! I ordered on "Extended Delivery" but they are saying it will be here by the 16th. I hope so!!

QuiltnNan 02-05-2012 02:41 PM

so happy that you are pleased with it!!!

eann 02-05-2012 03:06 PM

Wonderful positive remarks. Wishing for one! Have fun with your new adventure.

Drue 02-05-2012 03:21 PM

Let's see some pics, ladies! I have my mom's featherweight that dad bought her for their second Christmas in 1940, from a hardware store in Alexandria , La. Unfortunately, a number of years ago the motor stopped working and dad took it to a machine repair man and he did not put a resoration motor on it and also replaced the foot pedal with a non-restored/aftermarket pedal....one day I want to get this changed back the style) to the way it was when I learned to sew on it. Makes me sick to see what was done to it!

tngal22 02-05-2012 03:47 PM

Thanks for the review! I love the look of it too and wondered how it would handle quilts since I am trying to learn how to quilt. Though for now I will stick with my Singer 347. But if we get some extra money, I might have to buy it. lol

QuiltingHaven 02-05-2012 03:56 PM

I really really like mine. We did some research and the outside is a supposed to be a polymer (supposedly better than plastic). Just like Blackberry says, it goes very nicely with my FW, my 99, my 66-6, and the two 301s along with the Curvy. My husband got it for me for Christmas - had a card with a picture of it that said it was mine as soon as he could get it. My bobbins for the Curvy fit it and I love the hand-look stitch that it has - experimented with it today and it does look nice. Has some great features like the flower maker (have a young grand-daughter). My husband says it is the best Christmas present he has ever bought me.

mighty 02-05-2012 09:44 PM

I also have had mine for a week now. I really like it!!! Sew a great stitch!! She is also very pretty.

CRELLA 02-06-2012 06:43 AM

I'm also waiting on mine to get here