Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Singer 185 info please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/singer-185-info-please-t156184.html)

traumaRN 09-27-2011 06:50 AM

As I learn more about vintage machines, I am intrigued by the Singer 185. I think they are cute! The little green machine, lol. They do not seem to have much value as they can be picked up very reasonably, but in their case they would seem to be another great machine to take to classes, retreats, etc. What is the general opinion from the quilting/sewing/machine collecting world on these machines? Thanks!

Candace 09-27-2011 07:14 AM

I have one and it's a powerful, smaller, 3/4 size machine. Though still heavy. It wouldn't be a great machine to take to classes as it's a straight stitch only. It would limit you to piecing and quilting ONLY....no stitches for applique etc. And the throat is small for FMQ...so, they do great for piecing and quilting but again remember you're very limited for class techniques if you don't at least have a zig zag.

As for not worth much, if you see a low priced one grab it. They tend to fetch a high price. They are very collectible.

jlm5419 09-27-2011 08:01 AM

My sister has two of these little green machines and she absolutely loves them! She is extremely pleased with the lovely straight stitch it makes, along with the fact that it is so powerful for such a small machine. The manual is available as a download.

They are heavy, though, so you'll build up some muscle if you're toting one to classes.

hershery 09-27-2011 09:57 AM

I have two of them and love the stitch they make. They are heavy so they do not vibrate off the table. They are very fast.

traumaRN 09-27-2011 02:41 PM

Thank you for your responses. Now, what do you consider a good price? There is one listed now on ebay for around $50.00.

Lostn51 09-27-2011 02:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have had 6 or 8 of them run through my hands and I really like them, but they are a heavy machine! I like them because they are easy to use, parts are readily available and they are a really good looking machine. I have converted one of mine to a Handcrank and I have one I will use in a treadle. It is a 3/4 machine so if you do put it in a treadle or cabinet find a 3/4 treadle or a 99 cabinet (super rare) or make and adapter plate for the existing cabinet.

For one that needs servicing I would not pay more than $30 but it should all be there. Be careful of the original green case, they will rot through the years and if you pick it up by the handle the machine might fall out of the bottom. A good case is really getting harder to find with these machines, and sometime the case is worth more than the machine.

Here is a repaint I did for a little girl last year for Christmas....

Billy

Lostn51 09-27-2011 02:59 PM

double post :oops: :oops: :oops:

Billy

traumaRN 09-27-2011 05:07 PM

Billy, thanks so much for the info. I love the pink machine! So glad to hear from you, too. I've heard you have not been feeling well. It's nice to see you on here!

SherriB 09-27-2011 05:12 PM

Billy,

It is so wonderful to see you posting!!!! I love that pink machine! If I ever get lucky and run across one, I will get it and send it to you for a paint job like this one. Pink is my favorite color and to have a pink machine would be awesome.

wesing 09-27-2011 06:48 PM

I bought one a few weeks ago, but haven't had time to do more than wipe it off and sew a few seams. The machine was very clean, so I didn't have to do much cleaning. The case was pretty dirty, but it was in good shape.

The machine makes a very nice stitch, and it doesn't make a lot of noise. I think this is a nice machine, and I can't wait to break it in.

I haven't found a free manual yet. If anyone knows where I can find one, please point me in the right direction.

Darren