Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Singer 99K (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/singer-99k-t153622.html)

Briarberry 09-17-2011 07:02 AM

I have been wanting a semi-portable machine for a while. By reading this board and doing other research it seems the Singer 99K is a good one. I am fairly new to quilting and have been using my mom's Singer 15-90 which is great but certainly can't be moved around especially since it's in a cabinet.
So - I found one on kijiji (Canadian version of Craigslist) for $45.00. It looks great and the case is included. The ad says it works well. I pick it up tomorrow and I hope I made a good choice. I figure for $45.00, I am not out much. I'd love a featherweight but they are pretty pricey around here. I live in hope I'll run across one some day in a thrift shop!
Did I make a good choice?

amyjo 09-17-2011 07:06 AM

you did good. price wise too. it is a real workhorse and will sew for many years. Lostn51 on the vintage machines has a tute on how to clean and care for your machine without sending to a repairman. have fun with your new machine.

Lacelady 09-17-2011 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Briarberry
I have been wanting a semi-portable machine for a while. By reading this board and doing other research it seems the Singer 99K is a good one. I am fairly new to quilting and have been using my mom's Singer 15-90 which is great but certainly can't be moved around especially since it's in a cabinet.
So - I found one on kijiji (Canadian version of Craigslist) for $45.00. It looks great and the case is included. The ad says it works well. I pick it up tomorrow and I hope I made a good choice. I figure for $45.00, I am not out much. I'd love a featherweight but they are pretty pricey around here. I live in hope I'll run across one some day in a thrift shop!
Did I make a good choice?

Sounds good to me, especially at that price - they don't turn up like that here, though I do have a smaller version of that with a hand crank that I was given years ago - great in a power cut.
Enjoy your new baby.

irishrose 09-17-2011 07:10 AM

If it's as heavy as the other vintage 3/4 size machine, the 128, it is not portable. Miss Mamie weighs 29 pounds! I like my 16 pound 301 for travel. Congratulations on your find!

Briarberry 09-17-2011 09:07 AM

Thank you for the feedback. I do realize the machine is quite heavy but I just wanted one that I could move from room to room, I don't plan on toting it around too much. I can hardly wait to go pick it up!

Shelbie 09-17-2011 09:17 AM

You made a good buy. Keep checking Kijiji. I bought two Featherweights from a lady selling her mother's and aunt's estate for $30 each last summer. They regularly show up for sale and are often less than $300.

Briarberry 09-20-2011 05:44 PM

Well, I picked up my machine on Sunday and it is beautiful. It runs well but needs some oiling. The lady who sold it to me was a bit sad to see it go as it belongs to her mom but I promised to give it a good home.

Numa 09-21-2011 04:33 AM

Love my 99!

Launie 09-21-2011 04:44 AM

I am teaching my sis how to sew on one of my Grampa's old machines. He fixed them for years. She has the 99k and I have his 1935 15-91. They both work great. Get some good quality sewing machine oil, and download a manual for the 99k, then oil the living daylights out of her. The following is a great website if you need more info and parts for your new(old) machine and Happy Sewing!
http://shop.sew-classic.com/

Briarberry 09-21-2011 06:46 PM

Thanks for all the great tips. I plan to work on it this weekend. It is just so darn cute. I am working on a rag quilt for my nephew for Christmas and am using my mom's old 15-90. It sews like a dream and is the only machine I have ever sewn on. The 99 sews and looks like it's baby brother. I have definitely got the quilting bug! One day I'll invest in a fancy new machine but for now these two are working just fine for my needs.