Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Singer Featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/singer-featherweight-t21653.html)

Mplsgirl 06-22-2009 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Darlene
I was at a quilt show Friday last and saw a display of Featherweights and they were so cute. Each one was $400.00 and I thought gee that's kind of high. But today I got on line and found some others for sale and they were even higher. Does anyone know how much they did cost originally?

$300 plus gas.

2wheelwoman 06-22-2009 01:13 PM

I love mine for piecing. I actually have two, a "regular" one and a Centennial edition one. There's just nothing like the sound these make as they hum along. And, they really are easy to maintain yourself as AtHomeSewing said. You just need a good manual with pictures and off you go.

Mplsgirl 06-22-2009 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheelwoman
I love mine for piecing. I actually have two, a "regular" one and a Centennial edition one. There's just nothing like the sound these make as they hum along. And, they really are easy to maintain yourself as AtHomeSewing said. You just need a good manual with pictures and off you go.

Go girl!!!!!

Shemjo 06-22-2009 01:18 PM

I have one and I take it to classes because it is so lite! It stitches beautifully! Wonderful for piecing! Have had mine for several years(maybe 15?) and paid $100 for it then! :?

Pats8e8 06-22-2009 01:20 PM

I have one, take it to our quilt retreat mostly. Or anywhere I need to take a machine. They are wonderful little work horses!Mine is a 1951, do you know how to date yours?

kanoelani 06-22-2009 01:32 PM

Yes, I have one. It is a 1951 Centennial which was my mother's. I did use it for piecing, but now I use a Janome.

My dear grandmother had one as well, but it was stolen out of her garage years ago :(

Prism99 06-22-2009 02:07 PM

I had several, but sold all the black ones. Kept a white one in a green case that was the only really good buy (in terms of price). I may eventually sell that one too. Most of the ones I purchased were about $300 ten years ago. Prices on them went up for awhile, but I think they've come down again with the current economy. I would shop around before spending $400 on a featherweight, especially if it doesn't come with a case and accessories.

I found that for sewing I much prefer my Bernina 1230 (needle up/down, for one thing). I don't do classes very often anymore and I always worry about damaging the featherweight if I take it to class. There are other newer used portable machines that sew just fine, so I will probably just take one of those with me if I ever take another class. (I've picked up a few machines here and there at thrift shops and fixed them up.)

My featherweight is stored in a good space next to a 301 in a case that I bought at a yard sale for $15. (!) Just haven't got up the gumption to part with those old machines yet.

Bill'sBonBon 06-22-2009 04:00 PM

I would love to have one, keep wishing and looking. It is perfect for my sewing guilds sit and sew every wed. Been looking for a small machine just for that. Wishing it turns out to be a featherWeight.
BillsBonBon

BellaBoo 06-22-2009 04:30 PM

I have a white one. The white ones (greenish) are smaller then the black ones. I didn't set out to get a white one it was the one I happened to luck up on. I love it for classes. It never messes up or causes me any problems. I have a Singer 15 90 in cabinet and it has the perfect stitch the featherweight does. I would really like a Singer 301. Those are one of the best if not the best machines ever made.

judy_68 06-22-2009 05:32 PM

I have one and love it.
Judy