Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Singer Featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/singer-featherweight-t21653.html)

tweety 06-22-2009 07:09 AM

How many of you own one of the old Singer Featherweights? And do you use them?
I recently bought one, but I would like to have it cleaned and checked before using it.
Linda/Mi

Mplsgirl 06-22-2009 07:19 AM

I have a Singer Featherweight my DH drove 300 miles to buy for me as a surprise. I had it checked out but it was in perfect condition, and it's what I use all the time. They are magnificent! I've never had any issues with it. It just ruuuuuns!!!!

AtHomeSewing 06-22-2009 07:28 AM

I actually have a couple, and they are so adorable. I have used mine and they are really fun, but when it came time to actually quilting, well the Featherweights had to take a backseat to my other sewing machine, the much loved Bernina.

There is no straighter stitch than on a Featherweight, as they are not capable of any side to side movement. They are very simple to work on. David McCallum wrote a book, The Featherweight 221 and I, which includes very clear and easy instructions on how to do the tune ups and repairs. He is from this part of the country so took a class from him. It was lots of fun. I would never let anyone else repair or tune up mine now that I know just how easy it is! :)

MaryStoaks 06-22-2009 07:43 AM

I love my featherweights for piecing! I use a 1/4" modern foot and find it accurate. I have 4 featherweights, 1 white, 1 tan, a black with scrole face and a black with straight line face. I use them all but only for piecing. I use my 301 or 306 for binding. There is just something more satisfying about using these vintage machines.

Wine Woman 06-22-2009 08:23 AM

I too have one and love it! It was a long awaited gift to myself. I found one on Craig's list and living in Oregon and buying it from WA the person I bought it from worked for a trucking company and had it shipped to me the next day! She was awesome! Drove into Portland and picked it up! It was like waiting for the newborn to arrive! I can honestly see why some people have more than one! They are so cute and a very good machine. Hope all of you enjoy your machine as much as I do!

nellie 06-22-2009 10:55 AM

not yet one day i,ll buy one i would like to buy a white one

Darlene 06-22-2009 11:43 AM

I was at a quilt show Friday last and saw a display of Featherweights and they were so cute. Each one was $400.00 and I thought gee that's kind of high. But today I got on line and found some others for sale and they were even higher. Does anyone know how much they did cost originally?

quilt addict 06-22-2009 12:51 PM

I just bought one last month. I have not used it yet as I am currently working on an applique wall hanging. But I will have it out soon.

kwhite 06-22-2009 01:07 PM

I have one. I bet I bid on at least 100 on Ebay before I got one for the price I wanted to pay. I love it.

Tink's Mom 06-22-2009 01:11 PM

I have one...I pet her every once and a while....I don't use her too much. Use the industrial machine for most of my straight stitching...but I won't part with her............