Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Size of quilts you're spray basting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/size-quilts-youre-spray-basting-t217841.html)

dray965 03-30-2013 07:02 PM

Size of quilts you're spray basting

I have spray basted up to a 59x70 inch lap quilt with good results. Well...I sectioned the batting in order to get it under the throat of my Bernina machine, so it wasn't actually that large.

But I've recently purchased a Baily Pro with a 15" throat and am wondering just how big a quilt you are spray basting. I'm worried that the spray would not hold a full/queen/king.

any of you spray basted quilts of that size? I'd be interested in knowing your experiences with the larger quilts.

I'd also like to know if any of you are using the glue with good results on the larger quilts with good success.

Tia,
Dray

Cyn 03-30-2013 07:04 PM

I spray basted my king size quilt- no problem!

narnianquilter 03-30-2013 07:06 PM

I spray basted a twin size and then a jelly roll lap quilt- the only thing I would suggest is to make sure that you let the spray dry between applying the front and the back. The one time I was in a rush and didn't do this it made for a LOT of wrinkling in the back!

carslo 03-31-2013 04:53 AM

I have done the biggest I can handle on my domestic machine 120 inches by 120 inches. :)

Annaquilts 03-31-2013 05:10 AM

The biggest I spray basted was a cal king 10 feetx10 feet. I did pin around the edges too every 5-6 inches. This was so I would not accidently sew over folded back backing.

kubby343434 03-31-2013 05:36 AM

I have spray basted for the first time on a queen size quilt...........will never pin a quilt again (my poor knees).....that is all thanks to this board and the members here.....ty so much for the tips..........kelly

charsuewilson 03-31-2013 10:01 AM

King size. I also will not pin again. The spray basting smells bad, so I use it outside. But it gets so much better results -- no unintended tucks on the back side or needed unsewing.

dray965 04-01-2013 03:16 AM

oh my...sooo glad to hear that I can quilt these larger quilts. I love the spray but was afraid to trust it for the big quilt. I could just see my self having to re-do the whole thing.

Thank you for helping me with this.

Teeler 04-01-2013 05:03 AM

60-something x 80-something. Because my machine is old and small throat, I did add pins every foot - 18 inches or so just for added security. I knew it was going to get a lot of 'man handling' through that little space. But no issues. (June Tailor Brand)

Buckeye Rose 04-01-2013 05:22 AM

I've spray basted larger quilts - queens and kings - and glue basted the big ones too (the glue will hold until you wash it out). After the first time of using glue to baste my quilt, I decided right then that I would never go back to spray. But that is just my opinion.