Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   slotted cutting mat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/slotted-cutting-mat-t75479.html)

janb 11-10-2010 06:44 AM

I bought a slotted cutting mat, (the lines are cut thru the clear plastic mat) and have had no luck using it...anyone know just how? Do I use the ruller also? Please help.

drivingsusan 11-10-2010 06:59 AM

I can't even imagine such a cutting mat!!
Will be interested in what comes next!!

CoyoteQuilts 11-10-2010 07:03 AM

I fold my fabric in 1/2 twice on the selvage---fold selvage to selvage then the fold to selvage (just like when cutting with regular ruler) still making sure that the fabric isn't twisted.

place the bottom line along the final fold of fabric with the uneven cut edge of fabric just past the "0" line. cut up the "0" line to get your first straight edge. If you want 2 1/2 inch strips cut up the 2 1/2 strip slot. If you are looking for squares or rectangles you then turn your mat 1/4 turn, place the line on the fabrics cut edge and cut our fabric in the correct slot. I don't cut triangles with this ruler.

I find that I have to hold the ruler firm to the fabric one slot over from the one I am cutting. My rotary cutter moves the ruler just a smidgen to open the slot for the blade. Just like any ruler if you start with this one finish with this one. If I am making a complete quilt it really doesn't matter if all of the blocks are off a 'smidgen', but if it is for a swap then I use something else.

Good luck. I know it took me awhile to get the hang of this ruler, but when I remember to use it my cutting is so much faster. I would like the bigger one, but make do with the one I have because of price.

grammyx5 11-10-2010 07:07 AM

I have used this type of mat for strip cutting and it works well for me. The key for me is to carefully place the rotary cutter in the "tear-drop" shaped opening at the bottom of the mat and then move the rotary cutter up the opening. Once you get use to using it I think you may find that it can save a lot of time cutting strips because you don't have to move the mat for each cut.

akrogirl 11-10-2010 07:12 AM

I LOVE these things. I am hopeless at cutting with a regular ruler, but these are a quilting lifesaver for me. CoyoteQuilts gave you some great tips, and that is pretty much how I use mine. It really is worth persevering with this particular tool until you get comfortable with it.

I like them so much that I have bought every variation I could find, including the super large one.

livenlearn124 11-10-2010 07:33 AM

I agree that once you get the hang of it.. you will use it all the time.

I can't imagine cutting strips without it.

littlehud 11-10-2010 08:01 AM

Wow, I need this mat. Would someone post a pic of it. Please.

quiltlonger 11-10-2010 08:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have the Quarter Cut & Shape Cut slotted rulers I use mine mostly for fat quarters- find when trying to do the selvage to selvage gets slippage but also found if use smaller rotary cutter got better results.

thimblebug6000 11-10-2010 08:11 AM

This sounds alot like the June Taylor rulers not mats.

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 11-10-2010 08:29 AM

I love it when I have a lot of strips to cut of the same fabric. Works great for me. May take a little practice but you'll get the hang of it.