Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   so confused about cutting mats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-confused-about-cutting-mats-t93303.html)

GwynR 01-23-2011 07:26 PM

I got one for Christmas and LOVE it. So much easier to use than the smaller one.

SewsonSaturday 01-23-2011 07:33 PM

i have a double sided fiskars mat and i really like it its really thin but it is easy to store. one side is yellow and one side is green but both sides have dark line measurments.Its a 24 by 36 and its the best size for cutting almost anything.

littlehud 01-23-2011 07:41 PM

Sounds like a great deal to me. I love their mats.

frugalfabrics 01-23-2011 07:51 PM

Fiskars for both my matts...I'm sure I had a coupon for them or they were on sale.

I have not had any problems with this brand - been using my matt for over 5 years.

One of them is 2 sided

ktbb 01-23-2011 07:52 PM

Good brand at a good price - may quilters don't use the lines on the mat anyway, so having no lines on one side is not a bad thing. If you like to use lines for cutting strips, then use the marked side for that, but use the back for trimming blocks, etc, that don't require mat lines...remember that most mats have two working sides.

Dingle 01-23-2011 08:01 PM

I would buy it for that price if I needed one. I like Olfa the best. I have the 24x36. My Sister and I went to Tuesday Morning friday and bought the last 3 18x24 Olfa mats. Neither one of us had that size and was too good of a deal the pass up. $8.99 each. You never know when you might need another mat. :thumbup:

pab58 01-23-2011 08:48 PM

Olfa! I have used a couple of different brands, but I LOVE my Olfa mats!! I'd never buy anything else! 8-)

GrannieAnnie 01-23-2011 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I have an opportunity to get a 24 x 36 OLFA cutting mat for 28 bucks, but is it the one I really want? It is self-healing, but only one-sided. Green with yellow markings. Some have block-sized grid lines which I think might be nice. Other brands? - 3 times Joann's has been out, only having Dritz - with no price and I didn't have the stomach to stand in line to find out. What mat do you use? It's like I'm frozen and can't buy any of them.

My sis in law bought a mat that is gray --forgot the brand name. We both hate it. The grid lines are hard to see.

Whatever you do chose, look at it for a while and sort of play with it to see if you can see the grids comfortably

melslove 01-23-2011 09:10 PM

I like the olfa brand also, i had a fiskers brand before and just didn't like it as well, the olfa seems very heavy duty.

scowlkat 01-23-2011 09:10 PM

Not sure what you mean by one sided? If you are referring to the grid lines, that doesn't mean you can't turn it over and use the other side does it?

I love Olfa and also have a mat I ordered from Salem (custom size) and it is really holding up well!