Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So excited. Starting my first "Block of the Month" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-excited-starting-my-first-block-month-t210674.html)

quiltingfan 01-10-2013 07:26 PM

So excited. Starting my first "Block of the Month"

Like I said.. I am SO EXCITED !!!! I just payed for the first month today. The class is next week but I will be gone for the weekend. So i drove by there today and she went ahead and gave me the block. This is my first one and I plan on doing all my blocks and at the end, if I finish all my blocks they will give the batting for free. It is the Melody civil war quilt. I am just glad that the first block is one that I can handle on my own. I am looking forward to learning some new techniques and honing my skills this year. Going for a little harder blocks. I learn so much better when I have an instructor to help along the way. I have a lot of projects that I want to get done this year, hope I can accomplish them. While in the shop I noticed that they are going to have a paper piecing class. Wish I could take it but finances won't stretch that far. Plus I have to finish my sons quilt. that is my priority this month. But one day.... right??? Just wanted to share my excitement with people that fully understand. My family does pretty well though... they are very patient with me and listen to my quilting ramblings. In fact I was in a store with one of my dd and she says " the display quilts don't have backings or bindings" then she looks at me and says. "That is just sad that I know that " ( with a smile on her face). Then my son asked me a question about quilting with the right terminology. they pick up that but not the part about keeping the house clean...go figure.. hahaha

wuv2quilt 01-10-2013 07:32 PM

Good for you!!! Make sure and keep us updated on your BOM....ooooooo, and don't forget to post pics along the way.

mighty 01-10-2013 08:05 PM

Have fun and please post pics along the way.

sewplease 01-10-2013 08:34 PM

Hi Quiltingfan...I'm waving at you from over in Sugar Land! We certainly DO understand your excitement. :-) Check online for some paper-piecing tutorials. You can do it!

KSellers 01-10-2013 08:59 PM

Hi, I'm Kathy Sellers, and from the San Antonio area. What shop are you taking the class from? I love taking classes too. Just wondering what's be offered around town.

LoisM 01-10-2013 09:01 PM

Good for you! I hope to see your blocks as you complete them.

sewbeadit 01-11-2013 12:42 AM

That is exciting for you and I hope you enjoy it!

AFQSinc 01-11-2013 07:36 AM

I am so excited for you! I love BOMs. I am working on one now (well I am VERY behind) and I have another from a few years ago that I work on from time to time. I did one last year at my LQS, Thangles Series 7 and I finished that one in time for my DH's birthday. BOMs are so much fun!

My only advice: Try your best not to get behind. It is definitely much more fun when you stay on top of the blocks. Especially ones that might be a bit more intricate.

Have fun and I too hope that you'll post pics of your progress and completed blocks!