Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So much trouble with free motion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-much-trouble-free-motion-t35015.html)

many craft person 01-24-2010 01:54 PM

I thought I would be smart and make up some squares to practice my free motion on. That part was okay. I continually kept breaking the thread and had to keep re-threading the needle - I tried everything. the machine did fine with regular foot and sewing, just when I dropped the feed dogs and started free motion I ran into trouble. I changed the needle, cleaned the bobbin case, re- threaded needle (only about a 100 times) fiddled with the tension, up and down. Changed thread, twice. Then finally put in bobbin thread for the top thread and so far so good. I don't know what in the world caused this, nor what else could of been done. Anyone have any comment? or input of what I was doing wrong.

CrystalKicks 01-24-2010 02:35 PM

Practice practice practice!! You'll get it...I always have to refer to my manuel to get the settings for free motion just right....

amma 01-24-2010 02:38 PM

Maybe your machine just doesn't like that one brand of thread for FMQ? Maybe it isn't strong enough?
I have read that other members have trouble with certain brands...
Maybe someone else will have better advise... :wink:

Darlene 01-24-2010 02:57 PM

Were you using batting and a backing for your squares? Maybe this could be it if not.

grammynan 01-24-2010 03:01 PM

This may seem stupid to ask but are you using a free motion foot?

susiequilt 01-24-2010 03:06 PM

Can you slow down really slow and see what happens? I know when I get too fast I have problems.

joeyoz 01-24-2010 03:13 PM

I noticed when I first started quilting that when I didn't use a thread stand the thread would get wound around the stem. It would just wind tighter and tighter and then break. Especially since you are going pretty fast when quilting. Also, if you are trying to move the fabric too fast it pulls on everything and will cause the thread to break and can also cause you to break needles.

BellaBoo 01-24-2010 03:57 PM

I found going to a large size needle stopped the thread breakage for me. Even when the charts all say a certain size needle for a certain size thread, it never works out for me. One tip that will save you tons of frustration:

Keep a notebook of what brand name and size of thread and what needle brand and size you used when you find a combo that works. I have found C&C thread will work find for super fast quilting but the expensive King Tut will give me fits.

joeyoz 01-24-2010 03:59 PM

You are so right BellaBoo. I use size 90/14 needles for quilting.

Barb_MO 01-24-2010 04:08 PM

Sometimes when I'm sewing with spool thread, the thread gets caught in the slit made at the bottom of the spool to keep the thread from unwinding.

i was hand trouble yesterday with freemotion my top thread was all loopy on the underneath side....I ended up having to set the top tension as high as it would go and then it worked fine.

If you are using a hopping foot, try not dropping the feed dogs. See if you can still freemotion.