Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So what's in your quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-whats-your-quilt-t150341.html)

ckcowl 09-04-2011 12:39 PM

read the packages and choose batting that allows you to quilt your quilt the way you want to- i seldom purchase my batting ahead of time- when i do i usually wind up having to switch it because i choose a different way to quilt it-
some batts are good for hand quilting-some not so much
some batts allow you to quilt up to 10" apart
some batts need to be quilted every 2"
some batts shrink more than others- some batts hold up to lots of washing/drying-dragging around-
some batts are more fragile and are more for the quilts that get put away.

the package holds a wealth of information

i keep a (batting journal) i try every new batt i come across-
i cut a 6" square from it- to add to my journal- i include where it came from, how much it cost- it's fiber content- the loft, the quilting recommendations- the care instructions---then after i use it i add notes on my feelings about it- did i love using it? did i hate it? did it cause alot of lint? and how did it wash up after the quilt was finished-
that way if something goes on sale i can check to see how i feel about it --- it might not be such a good deal if i hate the batt.

i love wool batting but it tends to be a bit expensive-
i love dream poly for kids quilts- it takes a beating and washes up beautifully
i love warm & natural for many long-armed quilts
i love hobbs heirloom batting for hand quilting
there are so many wonderful batts to choose from!

Barb44 09-04-2011 04:14 PM

I have used cotton batting in one quilt and decided I did not like it. It is too flat and too hard to quilt and has to be quilted too close. I hand quilt. I much prefer poly. Poly comes in several different lofts. I don't like the low loft because it too is flat. I like to see dimension in my quilts.

Valerie Ann 09-04-2011 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
read the packages and choose batting that allows you to quilt your quilt the way you want to- i seldom purchase my batting ahead of time- when i do i usually wind up having to switch it because i choose a different way to quilt it-
some batts shrink more than others- some batts hold up to lots of washing/drying-dragging around-

i cut a 6" square from it- to add to my journal- i include where it came from, how much it cost- it's fiber content- the loft, the quilting recommendations- the care instructions---then after i use it i add notes on my feelings about it- did i love using it? did i hate it? did it cause alot of lint? and how did it wash up after the quilt was finished-
that way if something goes on sale i can check to see how i feel about it --- it might not be such a good deal if i hate the batt.

So, if i wanted it to look more like a bedspread--not flat, your recommendation would be?

crafty gal 09-04-2011 06:56 PM

Thanks for all this information!

ghostrider 09-04-2011 07:02 PM

Do some reading about battings. You won't regret it.
http://www.daystyledesigns.com/batting.htm
http://c-mann.suite101.com/guide-to-...batting-a57922

COYOTEMAGIC 09-04-2011 07:21 PM

I use whatever I have on hand.I have an industrial sized roll of a cotton weave (heavy T-shirt material) that I use for batting. I also use old sheets for batting and backing.

Edie 09-05-2011 03:47 AM

Warm and Natural. Edie

taciage 09-05-2011 04:21 AM

I like Dream cotton ( no dies or pesticides) and warm and natural. it comes in different lofts, so I can send completed gifts to Florida, Michigan, California or anywhere in between! Dream Cotton also now has a wool batting that is light weight and quilts beautifully! My luck with Hobbs the few times I had to use it was not positive-- bearding and pilling, so I don't choose to use it.

jitkaau 09-05-2011 04:34 AM

Thin (cotton) batting is easier to quilt than lofty batting. If you are new at it that might be the best place to start. Don't run to do Trapunto etc until you've done a couple...

cpfrog 09-05-2011 04:49 AM

SUPER IDEA of the "Batting Journal" and documenting the different types... I've done this with the quilt tops, but never thought of the diff. battings I've used. Thanks for the tip!