Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So...when do you call yourself a "Quilter"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-when-do-you-call-yourself-%22quilter%22-t66990.html)

glenda5253 09-26-2010 08:05 PM

I have just been reading the thread on bad habits of quilters and it got me to thinking.

I love fabrics, notions, patterns, everything related to quilting. My mom was a life-long quilter and in the past few years I have had a 'longing' to be a quilter.

I've made three quilt tops and have quilt fabric, kits, patterns out the wazoo(sp?) but I've never thought of myself as a quilter because I haven't completed a quilt. I am scared to death to make that sandwich and start quilting - either machine or hand.

So...can I call myself a quilter or am I just a wanna-be chicken?

sueisallaboutquilts 09-26-2010 08:08 PM

You made 3 quilt tops?? I think you are a quilter-in-progress!! :D hahaha

Mattee 09-26-2010 08:11 PM

You're a quilter. You may not be the most experienced, neither am I, but you are still a quilter. We're all in progress to some extent, and I'm sure we all have a long list of things we still want to make and/or complete.

cjomomma 09-26-2010 08:14 PM

I am not sure when you can consider yourself a quilter. Maybe when it becomes a obsession!!! LOL. I am sorry maybe I should have said an addiction no that's not the right word either. Oh! I know when the fabric's starts talking to you, no that's paranoia. HUM!! I think I need counseling. LOL.
Now stop being afraid of that quilt and get busy so you can tell others you are a quilter.

Edited to say:
I know what the right word is now. It is when quilting becomes a passion not just a hobby.
I am just joking with you. You are a quilter.

amma 09-26-2010 08:14 PM

You are a quilter... you just have UFO's instead of finshed quilts :D:D:D

AudreyB 09-26-2010 08:17 PM

Many quilters make the patchwork tops and "quilt by cash" meaning they send it out to a longarm quilter. If you have made the top, you are a quilter in my book.

I have a friend who is, as she calls herself, a "mental quilter." She thinks about quilting and is good with design and fabric, only she doesn't actually make the quilt. She's a great friend and goes on our quilt retreats with us.

wvdek 09-26-2010 08:17 PM

Good question.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-26-2010 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
You're a quilter. You may not be the most experienced, neither am I, but you are still a quilter. We're all in progress to some extent, and I'm sure we all have a long list of things we still want to make and/or complete.

I totally agree with Mattee but wanted to add a little fun to it! :D

pennyj123 09-26-2010 10:24 PM

Gday, i agree with cjomomma. I am a quilter with a PHD (projects half done) LOL :)

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I am not sure when you can consider yourself a quilter. Maybe when it becomes a obsession!!! LOL. I am sorry maybe I should have said an addiction no that's not the right word either. Oh! I know when the fabric's starts talking to you, no that's paranoia. HUM!! I think I need counseling. LOL.
Now stop being afraid of that quilt and get busy so you can tell others you are a quilter.

Edited to say:
I know what the right word is now. It is when quilting becomes a passion not just a hobby.
I am just joking with you. You are a quilter.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 09-26-2010 11:24 PM

Congratulations your a Quilter !!! With 3 tops made, thats the cool part of the craft so much variety, in levels and choice, that can apply. Hope you've enjoyed the process, when finished up, thats a cool feeling!! Don't let the finishing intimidate you might as well jump, remember tack and tied are also finished with out the pressure of the machine.
Happy Quilting :)