Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Some Questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/some-questions-t9903.html)

shellyp 08-07-2008 12:04 PM

Ok...Looks like I have a to do list!

1) I'm going shopping and playing with each one I come across until I find the one that tells me to take it home. Should be fun but I don't know how long I can hold out just walking in and buying it!

2) I'm going to order Quiltsmart. I've got pleanty of time, it's about 5 projects deep. I like to be prepared. I like not having to sew the curvy middle in it.

3) Looks like I need to buy some plexiglass. It will be nice having them in the exact size I need anyway. Great idea!!!!

Here's a couple other questions.
1) I bought a kit that has the eyelet material. Do I need to back it with interfacing, stablizer, muslin, or something before I put it in the quilt so the batting doesn't come thru the holes?

2) Once I get my quilt squares square, and sewn together, and the borders on, do I need to square it up again? If so, how? No way am I getting a 58"x64" template!

3) When quilting, I know you start in the middle. My question is....do you go straight out to the edges than go crosswise in the middle working your way to the outside edges, like an x, or do you go in a spiral out from the middle? Confused yet? I am.

Moonpi 08-07-2008 12:56 PM

If you square as you go along, you can usually tell whether things are lining up right or not. If I am doing borders, I like to square before and check after, by measuring several places along each side and adjusting/cutting as needed. My final check is measuring both ways diagonally, and if they are the same size (or pretty close) I go forward with assembly.

The eyelet should definitely be lined. Today's battings don't shed as much as older kinds, but it will be worth it to at least use an iron on interfacing. I'm sure you could get some interesting effects by using a contrasting color that showed through the openings.

Starting quilting from the middle gives you room to smooth out any imperfections. If you baste well, I wouldn't think where you actually started quilting would be that big a deal. I learned to do an X and + years ago for handwork, but that was before spray glue and great battings.

Elizabeth A. 08-08-2008 05:48 AM

When I was using my daughter's baby clothes to make quilts, I always intended to do something to line the eyelet fabrics, but never did. Granted they haven't been on the bed for very long, but they seem to be fine. You see I was worried about her pulling the batting out unpurpose, but the hole is so little she can't do that.

Elizabeth A. 08-08-2008 06:02 AM

Lorretta I looked at that Double Wedding ring pattern that Patrice put together and that is amazing. Thank you for sharing it. Someday I might have run a search for double wedding ring, but it was great to just go there and read all those amazingly simple sounding steps!