Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Someday I will learn to read the pattern! Maybe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/someday-i-will-learn-read-pattern-maybe-t182383.html)

JanTx 03-10-2012 10:49 PM

Someday I will learn to read the pattern! Maybe

2 Attachment(s)
I am working on a star block quilt. The instructions are not well done, there is no placement diagram, and the picture is of the quilt on a table and taken from an angle - you see the borders well, but the top - not so much. BUT even given that if I had REALLY looked hard I would NOT have made the stars scrappy. When I really look at it I see the stars are all the same print and the gingham borders around them are the same, too. Like --- a red star with a yellow sashing. But not mine. Nope - mine are scrappy, scrappy. Since I plan to keep this and use it as a table cloth on my kitchen table - no big deal, but SOMEDAY I will REALLY read the pattern. Maybe.

The first pick is my biggest excuse - I'm currently working on a different star block project which IS scrappy.

Handcraftsbyjen 03-10-2012 11:07 PM

I like it!

JanTx 03-10-2012 11:11 PM

Since it's what I THOUGHT it was supposed to be I'm okay with it. I'm NOT going to even think about whether I would have preferred it the other way. But ... I keep doing this... read enough to get started - maybe even glance all the way through then ... Hannah, bar the door - I'm on my way. Full speed ahead. Then too often ... whoops - there it is! Something that's not quite how I thought it was and I have to spend time adjusting what I thought was there to what's really there. Sigh. Someday, someday, someday!

audsgirl 03-10-2012 11:47 PM

I think it looks terrific the way it is! I love the gingham frames. It's so cheerful and fun.

virtualbernie 03-10-2012 11:50 PM

I'm not usually a fan of gingham but I like this, I like it a lot! Maybe it's because you made it scrappy!

JanTx 03-11-2012 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
okay, okay ... I am by nature and rearing a follower of rules. Quilting has brought out both an ADD and an OCD that I wasn't aware I had. Here's what I'm going to do ... the pattern calls for 30 blocks - 1 becomes an orphan, 4 are cornerstones and the other 25 make up the top. SO ... the 5 I've made scrappy - one will be the orphan, 4 will be the cornerstones (since it to be a table cover those will hang over the sides). I'll make the rest to match cause ... I really like it better. There! I said it - AND I don't have to rip.

The dark star blocks I'm making are made of 30 different fabrics. These little ones are just 10 fabrics. I think that's what bothered me the most - not enough scrappy to be truly scrappy. So the new ones will look like this:

virtualbernie 03-11-2012 01:07 AM

Now that I see it, I do like it better although the scrappy was pretty too!

QuiltnNan 03-11-2012 03:34 AM

i think you came up with a good solution... one that makes you happy. thus, it is the right way to do your quilt :)

bunniequilter 03-11-2012 03:48 AM

I like them both, consider what you think of as a mistake as your unique twist on a pattern.

Holice 03-11-2012 04:23 AM

When a quilter makes a mistake - just call it creativity and continue on. Folks will think you are so artistic and clever

One time I pieced the back of a crib quilt. Folks comment more on that than thefront. I was just trying to use up all the left over fabric and not have an unwanted stash left behind