Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Someone PLEASE help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/someone-please-help-t214755.html)

Sandi 02-25-2013 10:20 AM

I'm so sorry this has happened.. I have used shout with good results as well. I would contact the manufacturer as they probably have had this problem with other quilters. Best of luck to you and let us know how you make out.

omaluvs2quilt 02-25-2013 10:24 AM

I had the same problem with my very first queen sized quilt...after many treatments & multiple washings (5 or 6), all cold water & no dryer, it finally came clean...and yes, it was embedded under the thread. After soaking with a mixture of dawn dishwashing & oxy and gently scrubbing with a toothbrush under the stitching, all was well. Hang in there and keep working on it...wishing you the best!

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5885355)
I had this happen with the blue chalko liner and a water soluble graphite pencil. However, it wasn't that the blue and graphite didn't wash out of my quilt but the blue chalk and graphite had embedded in the quilting thread. The blue was hand quilted the graphite machine quilted. I never did get the blue all the way but gifted the quilt anyway. The graphite I washed several times. First plain water then detergent and oxyclean. I also let the quilt soak in the washer for a while. Finally I went at it with a soft bristle toothbrush. I don't think I got it all the way out but it faded to the point it was not noticible except by me. The blue one I gave it to my mom so I don't know if it eventually washed out. I don't think it did. The thread is much more "pourous" for lack of a better term, then fabric. I think the powder just clings to all the microscopic fibers sticking out all over on the thread and because it is sunk down in the fabric, water and detergents just can't get to it.

ladyredhawk 02-25-2013 12:57 PM

I'm so envious of you for being able to sew with your hands, i'm not able to hold the needles. I think if I went through all that and it wouldn't come out I would KILL SOMETHING!!!!!! lol
I sure hope you can get it out, maybe you could say you made it that way. but ty for the thread, i will not use the blue on white.

caspharm 02-25-2013 03:59 PM

I had a LA class and the instructor recommended "Sew Clean" from Bear Thread Designs.

Pat75 02-25-2013 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by koko (Post 5885548)
If you still have the packaging or name of the manufacturer I would look them up on the internet and contact them via e-mail to see what they suggest for removing the marker. I'm sure they have received messages from others with the same situation and probably have the best solution. Good Luck.

If you live in a very warm climate as I do in AZ In the summer it is advised to not leave your marked quilt in the car because the high temp is enough to set the bluemarks.

Ranchwife 02-25-2013 10:14 PM

My go to stain cleaner is 2 tbsp hydrogen peroxide, 1 tbsp regular Dawn dish soap, and 1 tsp baking soda. Mix together and apply with a soft toothbrush. It is the best stain remover and removes set in stains that Shout won't touch. It also works on colors. You might want to try this if the other suggestions don't work. Oh, it is also good for removing blood and grease. Good luck. :)

thenonnielady 02-26-2013 05:35 AM

Getting out markings

Originally Posted by ankegram (Post 5885214)
OMG! I think I'm going to have a heart attack! I just finished a queen size, hand quilted wedding quilt for my son and his bride. It took me over 6 months! It really turned out beautiful, BUT, I can not get the blue chalk lines out. I always wash my quilts before giving them away, and the quilting lines have always washed right out. Not this time! I used a "Blue washout Pencil." I have it in the washer right now for the second time. This time I used detergent and Oxyclean. Any suggestions? I'm really worried! :shock: Thanks for any help you can give me.

I use SOAP, not detergent to get out many stains that the detergent doesn't touch. Fels or Castile SOAP in bar form is terriffic. Wet the cloth, wet the soap, rub the soap onto the marks. Work the soap into the stain, then wash....take a look before it goes into the drier. If it is gone, then dry it, gently.

Gerbie 02-26-2013 07:18 AM

I can definitely sympathize with you. I made my daughter a queen size DWR greens, cream and mauve quilt several years ago and prewashed all fab. thinking all would be o.k., and when the quilt needed to be washed, one of the greens faded on different parts of the quilt. I have rewashed many times and tried everything to get the bleed parts out, but to no avail. The quilt has never been in the dryer. Finally just gave up on it. But since then I found on Nancy's Notions (haven't used it yet) so I have no idea if it works or not, but it is a bottle of solution called "Marking Pencil Removal" by Quilter's Rule International. it says it will safely remove marking pencil marksfrom all types of sewing projects without phosphates- the following types of pencil marks can be removed with this- Berol, Very Thin, EZpencils. General pencils and graphite leads, (Note yellow pencil markings may take several applications to remove). I just copied all of this information from the bottle label. - after spraying this solution on the item allow 15 seconds to pentrate, then remove with a clean damp cloth. The Label says it is for Hobby, Crafts, Sewing and Quilting. You might want to order some of this and see if it will work. I have no idea, but I wish you the best of luck. When things like this happen it is so disheartening and upsetting. Let us know what happens. Gerbie

GramMER 02-26-2013 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by ankegram (Post 5885214)
I used a "Blue washout Pencil." I have it in the washer right now for the second time. This time I used detergent and Oxyclean. Any suggestions? I'm really worried! :shock: Thanks for any help you can give me.

I am not sure if they still make the Ivory flakes, but that is a wonderful soap for removing even ordinary pencil marks. If all else fails you can rub a bar of Ivory on the blue marks and then put the quilt back into the washer to rinse.

My best to you in this new adventure!

Traditional 02-26-2013 03:08 PM

I agree with sharoney