Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Someone please talk me down! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/someone-please-talk-me-down-t210945.html)

coopah 01-15-2013 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR (Post 5785984)
Seriously, this is like going to the bar for help in not drinking. :o

Thanks, I needed the laugh! Anyway, my husband says to get them and maybe one could be for parts. No, he isn't available! :-)

karenpatrick 01-15-2013 07:08 AM

Featherweights are never going to be any cheaper than they are right now. Go for it.

MimiBug123 01-15-2013 07:12 AM

Sorry! I have 2 and I would say "Go for it"! Even though I have 2, for the right price, I would buy 2 more.

cflykins 01-15-2013 07:26 AM

Go for it! I have a featherweight that I have had for 54 years and have been looking for a second one. Even though I have 3 other machines, the featherweight is the favorite machine that my granddaughters (ages 11 and 7) like to sew on. I have been searching for another one on eBay but they want too much for them. Great machines!

maviskw 01-15-2013 07:41 AM

Most of the people here missed the whole point of the thread. The things were being donated as DOOR PRIZES. I would be leery about that. Someone should look at the things to see if they are "prize worthy". Would you want to win those things? I'm sure these things are good, but you need to be sure. The following is from another post. The only one who GOT the point.

I guess I'm looking at this from a different perspective. This woman offered these items up as a *donation* for a door prize.

Sorry ... but they were offered as DONATIONS. That is what they should be.

Perhaps you'll be lucky and win one. (from DogHouseMom)

misseva 01-15-2013 07:45 AM

GET THEM and offer something else of equal value as a door prize!!!!!!!

Prism99 01-15-2013 09:21 AM

FW as a door prize? I must belong to the wrong guild!!!

If the owner is gungho about donating, then there's nothing wrong with someone buying the machines and the money from the purchase being donated.

I just don't see this as being a big deal. There are lots of people who would not want to win an old sewing machine as a door prize anyway. I could understand the fuss if the machines had already been donated, but that is not the case here.

Also, like the woman mentioned donating simply because she wants to get all the stuff out of that house and that is the easiest way to do it. If she finds that selling the machines is just as easy or easier, it might be her decision to sell rather than to donate.

Momala24 01-15-2013 09:31 AM

I am no help at all! I would definitely say get it. I have one, and like you, probably don't really need it. But she is so cute and so much fun to sew on. They sew like a dream and you can keep her purring with no trouble at all.

roserips 01-15-2013 09:41 AM

I just can't believe as a quilter she didn't know what she had or did she? Anyway accept the donation graciously and put us all in for the door prize. That would be one I would love to win.

justflyingin 01-15-2013 09:45 AM

You're asking at the wrong forum! Ask at the "clutterer's anonymous" website and you'd get a completely different answer. :) You should at least ASK how much they will be.