Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Something to stimulate my quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/something-stimulate-my-quilting-t154225.html)

Fixedgearhead 09-19-2011 01:26 PM

As I suspected would happen, I was smitten by all the southwestern art and craft styles that abound in Santa Fe. The one thing I looked for, and found, was a large picture book, coffee table size, that gives lots of color photos and text relating to southwestern blanket weaving patterns. I think this is going to mean a new direction in my quilting adventure is taking place. I already have a couple of ideas for new patterns for bags and quilts, with some of the sumptuous pastel colors, that abound in this part of the country. I had not thought I would ever go in this direction, but I have been bitten, and it feels good. There is so much art in this town that it is almost overwhelming. I love it. I will only be able to visit as a tourist, as the cost of living here is astronomical. Housing is off the chart. I am enjoying it while I can.

John

butterflies5518 09-19-2011 01:35 PM

Have a wonderful time and be sure to share!

katier825 09-19-2011 01:48 PM

It's good to go off in another direction sometimes. I find that doing an "image" search on Google can also be very inspiring!

Vanuatu Jill 09-19-2011 01:58 PM

I LOVE Southwest designs! Please share what you make! I love anything Native American-and have several Native American dolls!

Judith1005 09-19-2011 02:37 PM

the way you describe it...it should be on my must visit list. thanks for passing it on and good luck on your new journey. (artistically,) whatever way it takes you.

Rosyhf 09-19-2011 02:40 PM

I love SW. I remember the year it hit Florida in the crafts field and I had large painted thunderbirds, pots, indian children with colorful dresses, cayote, bear etc...I was the first one with the SW. I sold every piece....I had two sets of adobe style canisters, very pricey and they sold too. I had all my wood made to order.....

Country1 09-19-2011 03:42 PM

You can use your wonderful experience to delite us all with your newest adventure in your talent. Share lots of pics of your new designs as they progress.

jaciqltznok 09-19-2011 04:49 PM

I fell in LOVE with Santa Fe too...it is amazing...

NJ Quilter 09-19-2011 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
As I suspected would happen, I was smitten by all the southwestern art and craft styles that abound in Santa Fe. The one thing I looked for, and found, was a large picture book, coffee table size, that gives lots of color photos and text relating to southwestern blanket weaving patterns. I think this is going to mean a new direction in my quilting adventure is taking place. I already have a couple of ideas for new patterns for bags and quilts, with some of the sumptuous pastel colors, that abound in this part of the country. I had not thought I would ever go in this direction, but I have been bitten, and it feels good. There is so much art in this town that it is almost overwhelming. I love it. I will only be able to visit as a tourist, as the cost of living here is astronomical. Housing is off the chart. I am enjoying it while I can.

John

If you're in Santa Fe and have the time, go visit some of the galleries in Albuquerque. Or some of the reservations in/around both towns. While I admire the art/talent, it's not a style I, personally, am fond of. But I do appreciate the artitistic ability and the mediums. We'll be heading to ABQ in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait. Also, if you are in Albuquerque during the first week of October, there is a phenomenal arts/craft show there. A fabulous photographer, Andy Marquez, usually has a booth there and his work is amazing. And if you're there then, look for us in the sky!

blueangel 09-19-2011 08:53 PM

Have a wonderful time.