Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sorry, another question, please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sorry-another-question-please-t177106.html)

luvstoquilt 01-27-2012 07:22 AM

There is no such thing as a dumb question...a question means you would like an answer for something. No one is born knowing everything!..I use spray sizing and I definitely prewash. One time I didn't and the material ran when I washed it. Also, I am alergic to something on new fabric and I have sneezing fits in a fabric store so I wash what I purchase as soon as I get it home.

Lori S 01-27-2012 07:50 AM

Several reasons why I like to starch my fabric. The top two reasons are... cutting is more accurate, the second is when the seams are pressed , they stay pressed much better than with just steam.... no seams flipping in a direction I did not want them to go when I am sewing.

Scissor Queen 01-27-2012 10:53 AM

I don't prewash. I use Mary Ellen's Best Press, which is a starch alternative, before cutting. I don't use steam. Remember, a *bleeding* fabric is not the problem. The problem fabric is the one that picks up those loose dyes!!! And shrinkage is your friend!! When you do a less than perfect quilting job and then throw the quilt in the wash and it comes out puckered just a bit it'll hide all that less than perfect quilting.

Pieces2 01-28-2012 05:08 AM

I do not, and never have used any type of starch or sizing. A good quality fabric doesn't need starch or sizing.

crazylady54 01-28-2012 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by bubble951 (Post 4914958)
Sorry, forgot to ask this. Since I'm not only a new user to this site, but a new quilter also, I have a number of dumb questions. Here is my first one. Why do you spray start your material? Thanks!

Keep in mind the only dumb question is the unasked one. You will find many many helpful quilters to answer questions for you. Sure wish I knew about it when I started quilting. Good luck on your quilting and keep those questions coming.

Fabaddict 01-28-2012 05:42 AM

the only dumb question is the one NOT asked. I do not use spray starch very much at all. It tends to draw bugs and I don't want those in my stash. If I have to spray anything I use plain water. and because I am allergic to some of the chemicals in fabric - I wash every thing before I use it

maryfrang 01-28-2012 06:12 AM

just remember the only dumb question is the one that is not asked. I prefer to starch and also not prewash, unless I have a fabric color that is really rich. (Like RED). I will prewash also if I use a lot of white with a dark contrast just in case. And I always use color catchers. They are available at the grocery stores and you put them in the wash. They will collect any color that will run in the wash.

ncredbird 01-28-2012 06:27 AM

I do prewash and starch. I started quilting without doing either and have had fabric bleed or behave badly after washing the finished quilt. If it is going to present problems I want to know about it before investing my time and energy. Also, when you iron/starch before cutting it requires hands and eyes on the fabric and you can catch any issues such as small holes or flaws that you need to eliminate in cutting out your pieces. Ann in TN

DeAnne-Mn. 01-28-2012 08:07 AM

At a LQS I was told not to bother washing or ironing beacause the "newer" fabric doesn't need it. Not true and I found out the hard way. I always wash and dry on hot and use spray sizing. Worth the extra work, plus some charities request washed items for people with allergies and for baby quilts.

feffertim 01-28-2012 08:30 AM

I prefer 'best press' to starch, it works really well and smells wonderful. A couple of tips, iron the fabric before you spray, the heat makes the starch absorb into warm fabric better, also, especially if the fabric is dark, spray on the back so you don't get any residue on the front.