Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Speaking of cutting...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/speaking-cutting-t216217.html)

gigi712 03-12-2013 02:49 PM

Speaking of cutting......

I'm almost to the point where I have to sit down to cut fabric. Does anybody have this problem and what works best for you. I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me.

ckcowl 03-12-2013 03:00 PM

is the height of your cutting table/surface right for you? i've found it really really difficult to get good cuts while sitting down- what is the problem you are having?

if you line your ruler up- using the grid lines on a mat and ensuring the fabric is straight along the bottom place your hand with fingers extended over the surface of the ruler (keeping fingers away from the cutting edge) place your pinky finger outside the ruler-along the outer edge- to hold the ruler from slipping- if using a long ruler-like the 6"x24" cut away from yourself-up the ruler- a few inches (like just above your hand holding the ruler) stop===move your holding hand up and cut some more- keep moving your hand up- then cut until you reach the end of the fabric. I hope this makes sense-
there are video demonstrations to watch to see exactly how to use the rotory cutter/ruler- always make sure you use a good sharp/new blade- you do not have to push down hard- just keep the edge of the cutter along the edge of the ruler- practice on some scraps, you will get the hang of it-
if there are specific problems you are having, let us know what the problem is- that would make it easier to help you or show pictures of what is going wrong.

AliKat 03-12-2013 03:00 PM

I agree, check the height of your cutting 'table' and maybe consider using a bar stool if you need to take weight off your feet.

gigi712 03-12-2013 03:35 PM

Tks, CK. that helped a lot.
AlliKat, I never thought about getting a barstool. The problem is standing on my feet for long.

Tartan 03-12-2013 03:41 PM

When my left shoulder was bad (couldn't hold the ruler down) I put my large matt on the kitchen floor, my big 15 inch square on the fabric and sat on the square to hold it down. I could then cut with my right arm along the ruler edge. Not ideal but a quilter's got to do, what a quilter's got to do!:D

sandy l 03-12-2013 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5924259)
When my left shoulder was bad (couldn't hold the ruler down) I put my large matt on the kitchen floor, my big 15 inch square on the fabric and sat on the square to hold it down. I could then cut with my right arm along the ruler edge. Not ideal but a quilter's got to do, what a quilter's got to do!:D

Oh, the mental picture...LOL

Holice 03-12-2013 04:36 PM

there are some rotary cutters that are advertised can be used sitting down I'm not sure which it is but perhaps Martilli.
Also, several years ago I was given an adjustable stool like those in beauty salons I can sit at the cutting table as wel as adjusting down lower for sitting at the machine or desk.

Mickey1 03-12-2013 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by sandy l (Post 5924266)
Oh, the mental picture...LOL

if this doesn't prove "Where this is a will, there is a way" nothing ever will!

OHSue 03-12-2013 06:12 PM

I find that a Martelli works well for me sitting down, but it does have a bit of a learning curve.

mighty 03-13-2013 06:09 AM

I always stand haven't tried sitting down.