Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Spin off Longarmers - if this is a business for you.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spin-off-longarmers-if-business-you-t124299.html)

Elisabethann 05-19-2011 01:11 PM

I've been thinking about what I am going to do when my last little guy is in school full time next year. It would be hard for me to have a job outside of the house due to kids and their schedules, but I will have several hours of kid free time every weekday. I'm trying to think of things I could do to generate income. Longarm quilting came to mind :) Can't imagine why ;)

If this is a business for you, or you generate income from it, how did you start?
How long have you been doing it?
How do you get clients?
Do you have enough business to keep you busy?
As busy as you'd like?

What words of advice do you have for someone thinking about doing this for income?
Do you wish you'd upgraded your machine?
Any features that your machine doesn't have that you wish it did?
Any features that your machine has that you don't use?

Sorry for all the questions, but my mind has been spinning since I handed in kindergarten registration for my son!

candlequilter 05-19-2011 01:13 PM

Do you currently have a longarm machine as they can be quite costly?

Elisabethann 05-19-2011 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by candlequilter
Do you currently have a longarm machine as they can be quite costly?

I don't have one - just kicking the idea around. I took a quilt to be quilted at the LSQ b/c it was a gift and I didn't have the time to do it, or the skill level ( I thought) When I got the quilt back I thought, Man... I could have done this, and done it better. With some practice, I think that long arm quilting is something I could be good at.

Just gathering info and stewing on the idea for a bit. I would love to be contributing to the family income. I know the start up costs would be rather high in the beginning, but if I could earn it back... it would be worth it.

Sass11111 05-19-2011 02:04 PM

Yes , you can get very busy with quilting tops for people. If you could pay cash for your machine to not have a huge note over your head you would do great . Just get into a Quilt Guild and before you know it you have sevral quilt tops to do.

babyboomerquilter 05-19-2011 02:04 PM

I say go for it! I have tried different things over the years to generate income, and sometimes its good, and sometimes not so much. Give it a try, you will always wonder if ya don't! LOL!

whinnytoo 05-19-2011 02:05 PM

If this is a business for you, or you generate income from it, how did you start? started doing quilts for a few friends,, then the word got out
How long have you been doing it? almost 6 yrs
How do you get clients? word of mouth
Do you have enough business to keep you busy? plenty
As busy as you'd like? more than enough

What words of advice do you have for someone thinking about doing this for income? do your research,,, will your area support it? how many other longarm quilters are there in your area
Do you wish you'd upgraded your machine? I just did that
Any features that your machine doesn't have that you wish it did? none.....I dont need or want the computer, I enjoy the process
Any features that your machine has that you don't use? none that I can think of

Hope this helps! You can also get a good reconditioned machine from a reputable dealer for less $ than a new one

Rose Hall 05-19-2011 02:09 PM

I also check the House of Hanson (or Hansen, can't remember) website frequently for used machines. I'm still saving up to buy one--good luck if you decide to take the plunge!
Rose Hall

PaperPrincess 05-19-2011 02:18 PM

I think it really depends on your location and the number of quilters and long arm-ers in your area. Do some searches on this board. The cost for long arming varies by geographic area. Need to do some research and a business plan to figure out how quickly you will recoup your investment. Good luck!

eastermarie 05-19-2011 02:19 PM

You might want to check places that charge no interest if the payments are made in 4 years. I bought my Avante that way and paid it off in less than a year, no interest.

earlylace 05-19-2011 03:01 PM

I think if you become good at it, you will get lots of business, good luck.