Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Spray Basting??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spray-basting-t14835.html)

ladybugquilter 12-29-2008 07:38 PM

I was wondering what type of spray basting everyone uses and if it is safe to use at 8mos pregnant. I have a baby quilt to finish for a friend by the 11th of January and I usually pin. Yet time is short and I have been reading how easy the spray is to use. Like I said my only concern is if it is safe to use while pregnant.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

ScubaK 12-29-2008 07:42 PM

Maybe if you used it outdoors...
Or just have the hubby spray it and then you come in several minutes later to put the next layer on...
I wouldn't chance it..
k

lyndawn 12-29-2008 08:15 PM

I would think in small amounts it would do no harm. If you are spraying a large quilt doing it outside might be better.

If you have an outdoor clothesline, it might make it easier for you to do. You could take it back in to add the next layer.

Or, if you could do it in a kitchen and have the stove fan and some other fans blowing it away from you it could work too.

JMTC

Lyette

Mamagus 12-30-2008 03:47 AM

505 - I get mine at Wal-Mart. And my husband who is very sensitive to smells (newspaper inks can put him into full allergic reaction) helped me put a queen sized quilt together and was fine with it.

You can get dust filters for your face at the hardware store if you think you'll have a problem.

Bernadette Harwood 01-01-2009 08:54 AM

I wouldn't use it while PG. I never use it for my quilts anyhow, I prefer to pin baste and know it isn't going to move on me.

thimblebug6000 01-01-2009 09:48 AM

Why take a chance with a precious little life? Take a few more minutes & pin it....

PrettyKitty 01-01-2009 01:48 PM

That idea of using a dust mask sounds good. Or getting someone else to do the spraying part. And just keep the area well ventilated. I think maybe you can breathe in things just as bad if you walk down the street where there is lots of traffic and fumes.

Elizabeth A. 01-01-2009 02:19 PM

Just pick up the phone and ask your OB-GYN, I was working near a blueprint machine when I was pregnant and I worried about the amonia, but the OB-GYN told me it would be fine. Just ask to speak to the RN they'll either know or be able to look it up. Just be sure to tell them it's "spray adhesive" instead of spray basting to make sure they know what you're talking about.

And always stay keep it well ventilated pregnant or not. :)

barnbum 01-01-2009 04:07 PM

I bought the one Jo-Ann's has and it smelled pretty strong--but not for long. I guess I'd ask a friend to spray while you're out of the room. Just to be safe.

ladybugquilter 01-01-2009 06:56 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. I decided to just pin and have gotten my DH to help (less time on the floor, the better).

Thanks again