Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Square in a square block - need help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/square-square-block-need-help-t176664.html)

Joan in AK 01-23-2012 09:16 AM

Square in a square block - need help

I have a block for a quilt that has 4 square in a square blocks within it.(1 square inside) I do not like this block as I can never get it to come out right. The unfinished block should measure 5 1/2. Two or three sides might be fine, the other sides not. I have tried a couple different ways to no avail.

Any suggestions as how to attack this block?
Paper piecing - Is there foundation pattern paper for different sized sq in a sq blocks?
Can I make a foundation pattern with EQ - if so how?
Thank you

thimblebug6000 01-23-2012 09:30 AM

EQ5 has classic pieced-diamond in a square block already in the library of blocks. You can select that, save it in sketchbook and then change to size you want & print - choose foundation or templates whichever you prefer.

Joan in AK 01-23-2012 09:56 AM

Thank you Thimblebug
I found it. I haven't had a lot of practice in EQ. How would I resize and print out this block.
Thanks again

Peckish 01-23-2012 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Joan in AK (Post 4902655)
How would I resize and print out this block.

When you're in the "edit block" page - click print, then choose either "foundation pattern" or "templates".

If you click "foundation pattern", click the tab that says "options" and you can enter the FINISHED size of the block there, then print.

If you click "templates", you can change the size of the FINISHED block in that window, then print.

hth

Joan in AK 01-23-2012 10:17 AM

Thank you!

Peckish 01-23-2012 12:19 PM

You are welcome. :)

Holice 01-23-2012 01:11 PM

Have you tried drawing out the pattern on graft paper. Could use it for both paperpiecing and making templates for the size you need. If interested I will walk you thru the process.

Daylesewblessed 01-23-2012 01:43 PM

I did a post about a month ago asking for tips on square in a square construction for my cow quilt. Not doing paper piecing, the most valuable tip that I got was to cut the triangles just slightly larger than the pattern calls for. This worked for me, because when I was finished, I had enough to be able to trim the block to size, and the points came out just right. Another tip was to sew with the square on top of the triangle, because of the triangle's bias edge. Others recommended starching for ease of working with the fabric, but with the fabric I was using, I didn't need to do that. I could see where that might be a help though.

Good luck with your project -- I hope you are as happy with the outcome and I am with my cow quilt!

Dayle

ontheriver 01-23-2012 02:09 PM

BlockCentral.com has pping pattern for square in a square by Kim Noblin. It is 6 in finished though, not 5 1/2. I have used it several times.

deemail 01-23-2012 02:10 PM

there is a sq in a sq ruler and book...