Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   stack & wack vs 1 block wonder vs kaleidoscope (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stack-wack-vs-1-block-wonder-vs-kaleidoscope-t109875.html)

speedyball 03-22-2011 05:39 PM

I hate to sound ignorant, but what is the difference? Most look the same, but maybe it is the way they are attached to each other?

sewingsuz 03-22-2011 05:41 PM

I don't know the answer either. sorry. I will be watching this thread for me to know also.

mimom 03-22-2011 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is a kaleidoscope, a stack and wack with only 4 pieces and I think one block wonders are 6 pieces to a block and all different sizes all put together, someone correct me if I am wrong

qbquilts 03-22-2011 06:02 PM

I think that "stack & whack" and "1 block wonder" are brand names for different patterns/designs. Both are made similarly - by layering fabric repeats on top of each other and cutting out identical pieces to use in a block to create a kaleidoscope effect. I want to say that "stack & whack" is older than "1 block wonder", but that could just be the order I first heard them. I've seen these quilts done with as few as 4 pieces in the block and even more than 8.

Pulling out my "Magic Stack-n-Whack Quilts" book. It covers a variety of blocks - Half-Square Triangles, 45 degree Triangles, 45 degree diamonds, 60 degree triangles, 60 degree diamonds. Looking at the pictures, the quilts call for the main fabric and a background fabric.

Remember the 1-block wonder's I've seen, I think the quilt just uses one block (the hexagon or the 60 degree diamonds to make a hexagon) and only uses the main fabric.

I could be wrong in my classification of the two, but from what I've seen, this is what I've observed.

LivelyLady 03-22-2011 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
I don't know the answer either. sorry. I will be watching this thread for me to know also.

Me too.....and the 4 patch posy seems to have the same concept too :roll:

PaperPrincess 03-22-2011 06:08 PM

This is my take. Stack and Whack and OBW both are kalidescope blocks, in that a single design element is cut and repeated to form a concentric pattern. Both S&W and OBW can be made from Hexagons, octagons and/or squares. The set up technique is the same. Find the pattern repeats in your fabric and cut the number of repeats needed to make your block. In a S&W, the resultant blocks are set with contrasting sashing or other methods/patterns where the individual blocks are highlighted, as mimom has shown (Pretty Quilt!!). In a OBW, the blocks are assembled without sashing etc. The assembled blocks are placed based on the dominant color of the block. The individual block isn't highlighted. OBW are often Hexagons. Do a search for OBW in the picture area of this board. Easier to see a pic than explain. Clear as mud?

qltncat 03-22-2011 06:13 PM

Maybe it's because the One Block Wonder doesn't have really defined blocks like the Stack-N-Whack?

The Stack-N-Whack pix above has 12 definite blocks, while a One Block Wonder seems to flow sort of like a watercolor quilt.

I hope I make sense. :-)

Linda

trisha 03-22-2011 08:40 PM

All I know is that I am addicted to OBW's!!!! They are hexagons made with the 60 degree ruler. And it is more fun than anything!!! That's my story and I am sticking to it.

fireworkslover 03-22-2011 08:50 PM

OBW's can be made with 6 - 60 degree triangles which make a hexagon or you can also make them with 8 - 45 degree triangles which make an octagon. A small square made from 4 triangles is needed in between the octagons to complete the block. The small triangles get sewn to the corners of the octagon to make it be a square block.

scowlkat 03-22-2011 09:04 PM

Paperprincess has nailed it right on the head! Excellent explanation in my opinion!