Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stack and Whack kits (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stack-whack-kits-t68299.html)

madelinkk 10-04-2010 02:14 PM

I found a site on ebay that sells s&w kits. There are 12 8 1/2 inch octagon blocks in each kit. Each kit has 4
design blocks, so there 3 of each design. I am a visual learner and thought this might help me understand how to make a stack and whack quilt when I try the first time. With s&h the kit wil be about $28-30. Do you think this is a good idea and is that a good price?

Sheepshed 10-04-2010 02:19 PM

I would spend the money on Bethany Reynolds Magic Stack and Whack book... it has tons of pictures for visual learning.

amma 10-04-2010 02:22 PM

I agree with Sheepshed, you could buy the book and most if not all of the fabric for that price.
The book has excellent pictures describing the steps to make these quilts :D:D:D

bjnicholson 10-04-2010 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sheepshed
I would spend the money on Bethany Reynolds Magic Stack and Whack book... it has tons of pictures for visual learning.

I just bought that book. It's great. Lots of pictures and great explainations.

quilt addict 10-04-2010 02:42 PM

I would buy the book or look at the tutorial on the kalidiscope blocks on this board. She gives great instructions.

Candace 10-04-2010 02:45 PM

My library has the stack and whack books, check yours!

martha jo 10-04-2010 02:58 PM

I used her book. The blocks I make are all alike but cut in different parts of the fabric and they look different. Lots of fun.

maryb119 10-04-2010 03:25 PM

I love to make Stack and Whack quilts. Go to bethanyreynolds.com to her cool stuff page. She has a chart there that makes the pinwheel block in smaller sizes and also a chart there for the fitting triangles when you place the blocks on point. You can use this chart with any block you put on point. It saves the math. Its a great resource.

madelinkk 10-07-2010 06:41 AM

Thanks for all your help. I'll check out those books and web site!

Holice 10-07-2010 06:57 AM

I would be cautious about buying a kit for Stack and Whack especially if they are cut octagonal. I suggest you start with the first design - the pinwheel. Also a suggestion.
When you cut the individual sections, put them in a paper plate to keep them in order. Then all the other pieces for that block in the plate. This helps keep it all organized.
It is not difficult - more addictive than difficult. You just need for the pinwheel 8 repeats of fabric. Don't assume you can get repeats across the fabric but you MUST cut down due to slight differences in printing. You can use the other side of the fabric for other blocks or to enlarge the initial. You might also consider buying Bethahy's pattern for the pinwheel rather than start with the book. I found this easier to understand the concept without having to decide on what arrangement/pattern to make. The Pinwheel was her first and basic. All others play off that one.