Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Starch the Backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starch-backing-t59735.html)

sabrinaquilts 08-16-2010 04:19 PM

I wanted to thank all the fellow quilters that suggested starching the backing to lesson wrinkles when quilting! :thumbup:

I used Mary Ellen's spray starch, because it smells good, and I just can't believe all the difference it really makes. I had been on a war path to find out ways to lesson the wrinkles in the backing when I quilt. I don't mind the ones that I had to squint real close-up to see. But when I can see them from across the room without my glasses on, I knew there was a problem. I had already done all that was suggested and still to no avail. I figured, why not try the starch. I didn't at first because the spray and steam from the iron aggrevates my asthma. If it solves my problem I am willing to endure holding my breath when I squirt the starch and I turn the steam off on my iron.

I did this on a little baby quilt. Will the starch give me the same results on the bigger size quilts too?

tinkerfeet 08-16-2010 04:25 PM

I don't know if it will work on larger quilts or not but thanks for posting this because I will try this to. Great idea.

Suzy 08-16-2010 04:41 PM

Yes, starch makes quilting so much easier in my opinion. It helps control the fabric. When cutting, sewing and quilting. Big or small, I use starch.

Suzy

amma 08-16-2010 05:18 PM

Yes it will help on the bigger backs too. Give it a try for piecing as well, you may be surprised at those results too :D:D:D

granniebj 08-16-2010 05:40 PM

I'm glad you posted this! I think I will try it too!

SharonC 08-16-2010 05:41 PM

I love the results I get with starch.

Prism99 08-16-2010 05:42 PM

I use a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water for backing fabric, "painting" it onto the fabric with a large wall painting brush. When the fabric is saturated, I toss it in the dryer and then iron with steam. This method would likely be less aggravating than using a sprayer. (The 1:1 solution makes the fabric very stiff. If you prefer less stiffness, just dilute with more water.)

Ngeorgia 04-26-2011 07:33 PM

I have been reading the starch topics. If you soak a lot of pieces at once and then put them in the dryer do they have to be ironed when hot or can you just fold them and iron as needed? I had also read about putting them in the refrig and iron within a week or put them in the freezer to keep from mildew. So I was thinking what if they are all dry and when I get in an ironing mood they are ready.
Does the starch mess up the dryer like spraying does to the floor?

tjradj 04-26-2011 07:39 PM

I am a starch convert. After avoiding ironing for most of my life, quilting has turned that around. Now I starch everything except the batting before I cut anything. I wash all my quilts before gifting, so it all "comes out in the wash." Then they are soft and cuddly - and no unexpected wrinkles!

Jammin' Jane 04-26-2011 07:51 PM

I really like Mary Ellen's spray!
I buy it by the jug when it's on sale.