Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Starch before cutting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starch-before-cutting-t154063.html)

Flying_V_Goddess 09-18-2011 11:46 PM

Today I was marking seam allowances on strips for strip sets. I mark the seam allowances because I don't have a quilter foot for my machine and never got accurate seams when I marked 1/4" on my machine. I seemed to have a bit of trouble today marking them. Sorry if I don't make sense on this... I'd lay the strip down on the table, lay the ruler down, and kept having trouble getting the edge of the strip to line with the 1/4" mark on my ruler. Kept having to shift the fabric underneath the ruler to line up that edge to the mark on the ruler. Guess not a huge deal, but probably could have gotten them done quicker if I didn't need to line the edge up. Checked the width my strips and went to see if they were wonky---nothing wrong there. They are thinner strips (1 3/8" wide) and I wonder if because they're so thin they're shifting around more than...say a thicker 2 1/2" strip.

Still have more thin strips to cut out. Would using starch before cutting help with these thinner strips lay straight when I need to mark them and keep them from shifting and stretching?

QM 09-19-2011 12:01 AM

Starch or sizing would probably help, although most of the time I am too lazy to do that.

Murphy 09-19-2011 12:21 AM

I use a heavier starch when working on something this small. Works great.

Cattyqwltr 09-19-2011 12:28 AM

I have started using that Best Press - it's unwrinkles fabric and gives it a little stiffness without the messiness of starch

fabric_fancy 09-19-2011 01:27 AM

when i need to mark something and the fabric isn't cooperating i put a fine piece of sandpaper under the fabric and then it doesn't move at all.

i always starch my fabric before cutting.

sewcrafty 09-19-2011 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
when i need to mark something and the fabric isn't cooperating i put a fine piece of sandpaper under the fabric and then it doesn't move at all.

i always starch my fabric before cutting.

Ditto! The sandpaper board works great!!!!! I've also found that I do love starching my fabric before cutting it also. Makes it much easier to sew.

SherriB 09-19-2011 03:47 AM

I often starch my fabric before cutting it. I like the stiffness it gives. It also makes it easier for me to cut and sew it. I don't like to starch after cutting because I have found it distorts my fabric some.

Miss Priss 09-19-2011 04:20 AM

Put a peice of tape at your 1/4" line. If it is not exact that is ok, as long as your are consistent lining up at that mark.

pocoellie 09-19-2011 04:34 AM

I starch every piece of fabric before I cut.

PaperPrincess 09-19-2011 05:25 AM

Yes starching before you cut will help, but I would also look for the sandpaper dots for your ruler. There are other stick ons that will keep your ruler from moving, but they seem thick and raise the ruler too high off the fabric. The sandpaper is very thin and keeps the ruler more stable. The only downside is that you can't see thru the sandpaper to the fabric, so position them carefully!