Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Starch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starch-t90415.html)

stitchinwitch 01-14-2011 09:46 AM

Do any of you starch before you start a project - and how stiff do you make your fabric. Also, I have been looking for the liquid starch in a gallon container - usually its blue but cannot find it here in the Ozarks. Do they still make it? There was an article about making your own liquid starch with corn starch. I tried it - nope, didn't work.......any suggestions? Thanks

laureneberhard 01-14-2011 09:49 AM

I don't general starch any of my fabrics unless they are really flimsy. I like to use Magic Spray as it isn't quite as stiff as starch. I think this is a personal preference and has lots to do with what type of piecing you are doing.
The WM and Dollar Stores near me sell blue starch, but not by the gallon.

Lynn Luker 01-14-2011 09:51 AM

Wal Mart has gallon sized Sta Flo. I really like it to help keep the backing fabric stiff when I do FMQ. Sometimes I use it when I piece. I like to mix my own strength.

CoyoteQuilts 01-14-2011 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Do any of you starch before you start a project - and how stiff do you make your fabric. Also, I have been looking for the liquid starch in a gallon container - usually its blue but cannot find it here in the Ozarks. Do they still make it? There was an article about making your own liquid starch with corn starch. I tried it - nope, didn't work.......any suggestions? Thanks

Last I knew Wal-Mart carried it. My last bottle I bought was over a year ago and I use it all the time! It is in the laundry isle usually on the top shelf just above the magic sizing.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-14-2011 10:08 AM

I starch everything. I cut better and sew better when the fabric is about stiff enough to stand up! Seriously, I starch pretty stiff. It helps me. Our Wal-Mart has Sta-Flo in the big jugs near the laundry products.

dunster 01-14-2011 10:16 AM

I use starch most of the time. So far I have only used the spray starch or sizing, but I did buy a big jug and intend to try that soon.

Dandish 01-14-2011 10:17 AM

Just last week I picked up a jug at Walmart, haven't used it yet. It was under $3, and looks like it'll go a long way.

Prism99 01-14-2011 10:28 AM

It's a quart size blue bottle of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch that I keep on hand. It is still made and sold. Try going to customer service and requesting your local store to carry it.

LivelyLady 01-14-2011 10:30 AM

I starch the crap out of my fabric. It makes it easier to cut and holds the fabric together as well as it makes it so much easier for FMQ. Also, I use kids washable markers for marking my quilt tops and I never have had any problem with marks coming out after washing. I think it's because I'm marking on the starch and not the fabric :D

QM 01-14-2011 10:44 AM

I don't like the feel of starch, but I do use spray sizing on some projects, particularly Mariner's compasses.