Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Starch then cut or cut then starch? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starch-then-cut-cut-then-starch-t177898.html)

Threadbanger 02-02-2012 11:20 AM

Starch then cut or cut then starch?

I'm a new to quilting and have a question regarding starching. I want to try the "Hidden Wells" pattern but do I cut the strips first, then starch and sew together? O should I starch the fabric, then cut and sew? Is there a particular way that's easier or is it just preference? Thanks for your input. :)

DogHouseMom 02-02-2012 11:34 AM

Starch then cut.

Starching will add body to the fabric and make it 'crisper' to cut which leaves a cleaner edge. It will also make the fabric flat, smooth, and somewhat stiff which will aid when cutting by keeping the fabric straighter and flatter.

Also, when you starch and iron, the fabric will distort a bit - so you want to do that before you cut it and sew it.

That said ... when I complete a block I will starch it again and press (not iron, but press - which means I just lay the iron down on top without moving the irong. To press a different section, I pick the iron up and lay it down again on the next section).

irishrose 02-02-2012 11:34 AM

I starch my fabric as I press it before I cut the strips. Sometimes I restarch lightly as I press blocks before trimming. I like starch in the fabric before I start FMQ. It's much easier to handle lightly starched fabric.

cmw0829 02-02-2012 12:02 PM

I agree - starch the fabric before cutting.

omaluvs2quilt 02-02-2012 12:13 PM

Yep, definitely before. It helps accuracy in cutting as well as piecing. There are lots of threads on this site for starching if you do a search. I use the Sta-flo liquid from Wal-mart 50/50 with water in a spray bottle, love that stuff. There are also recipes on here for homemade and Best Press is nice too, but pricey. I spray quite heavily and let pretty much dry before ironing my fabric yardage (no flaking and less distortion of fabric).

gayle bong 02-02-2012 12:18 PM

Yes, starch first then cut. Otherwise it just gets messy and wasteful. Starching for the Hidden Wells pattern is a good idea to stiffen the fabric sew the bias cuts don't stretch. Makes for better accuracy all around.

Tartan 02-02-2012 12:21 PM

If I am going to cut 3 inch strips, I cut a strip off my fabric at about 3&1/4, starch and iron the strip and then trim to the exact size. This gives me a little extra to play with in case the strip shrinks or changes any. You would be surprise how a little wrinkle in the fabric can effect your strip.

Lori S 02-02-2012 12:40 PM

Starch then cut , your cutting accuracy will be much better with really flat crisp fabric.

AnnieH 02-02-2012 12:42 PM

Starch first. It will make cutting much easier. Have fun and good luck.
Annie

Margie 02-02-2012 12:58 PM

I starch first, I think it makes for more accurate cuts.