Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Starching fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starching-fabric-t53595.html)

csharp 07-09-2010 11:04 AM

I have read some discussion on using starch on fabric while making a quilt...since I'm new, I didn't see any of the beginnings of this discussion, so could you ladies tell me how and when you use it. I'm making a baby quilt and have washed all the fabric, now ready to press it before cutting. Should I use starch now, or after sewing blocks, then starch and press??? If there's a better way to do things than what I've done in the past, I'll jump at the chance.

sharon b 07-09-2010 11:06 AM

If you go to the top of the screen click on search... type in starch you will pull up a list of all the starch conversations :wink: And you can read from start to finish :thumbup:

raptureready 07-09-2010 11:07 AM

Now, when pressing down seams, before squaring up your blocks, before quilting, anytime you want to. Once it's done you can wash the starch out.

bearisgray 07-09-2010 11:07 AM

You'll get different responses -

After getting them all - if you want, do some experimenting for yourself and see what works better for you.

I ALWAYS wash the fabric before cutting it. Many don't.

Some ALWAYS use starch. I only rarely use it.

If you do a search on "starch" or "sizing" - you'll get a couple hours of reading.

sewcrafty 07-09-2010 11:07 AM

If I'm going to use starch I use it when I'm ironing my fabric out for cutting.

Pam 07-09-2010 11:15 AM

I used to starch everytime I went to the ironing board and I must say, they were standing at attention when I got done. I do not use as much as I used to.

csharp 07-09-2010 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
If you go to the top of the screen click on search... type in starch you will pull up a list of all the starch conversations :wink: And you can read from start to finish :thumbup:

Thank you, thank you, have been doing a lot of reading on the subject...hadn't seen the "search" at the top of the options, so now will use it for a lot of my questions.

Judy in Waco 07-09-2010 01:26 PM

I'm a new quilter, but my LQS introduced me to Best Press clear spray starch and I love it! It's very light and doesn't get that flaky white stuff. I tried some at a class and decided I liked it. :)

bearisgray 07-09-2010 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by csharp

Originally Posted by sharon b

Thank you, thank you, have been doing a lot of reading on the subject...hadn't seen the "search" at the top of the options, so now will use it for a lot of my questions.

What you will notice - there are a lot of opinions. Eventually you will figure out what works best for you.

franie 07-09-2010 01:53 PM

I recently posted about making my own spray starch. All I use any more. PM me if you want the recipe or I can post it for all to see.