Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stash or New? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stash-new-t108196.html)

IrishNY 03-17-2011 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I usually start from my stash and then go buy stuff I need to go with it!!!

Of course I am always buying fabric that catches my eye. Just got a whole big box of fabrics from fabric.com!

Me too. I think I am being virtuous by shopping in the stash for a project, but I always have to supplement by buying a few fabrics.

In between, I continuously grow the stash.

greenini 03-17-2011 05:19 PM

I have always bought fabric cheaply as I find it as I decided I'd do a form of "pioneer quilting" called thrift store fabric only. SO I bought what seemed to me to be good quality quilting fabric. I got to the point where I don't go shopping at thrift stores so much and I'm starting to use my stash. I just made a large lap quilt entirely from on hand fabric. I am also working on WIP by using what I have. However, I also have a couple of paper pieced projects in mind that I want to try and am buying pieces of fabric for that mostly half yd or smaller, and all on sale. So you could call that spec buying, I guess. My stash is no where near the size of many and if I had the energy to rearrange the furniture and get my fabric on all the comic book boards, well, maybe I would get to quilt a bit more.

FranW 03-17-2011 05:21 PM

Almost always from stash.

earthwalker 03-17-2011 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by needles3thread
When planning a new project, I go through my stash first, then
if I don't have everything that I need, I go buy some. It always
makes me feel good if I already have what I want to use.

This is my approach too. I may be alone in this, but I can't see the point of building up a huge stash and then not using it.

bgullett 03-17-2011 05:23 PM

Both.

Rose L 03-17-2011 05:31 PM

I work from my scraps stash and then buy what I need to coordinate/finish. I don't keep large pieces on hand except for backing fabrics.

Homemother 03-17-2011 06:44 PM

Thanks to everyone - I appreciate all you answers. Seems like you have thought out what to do and it works well for you! I guess I'm collecting fabrics that appeal to me now and am trying to purchase those which complement each other. The thought being that when I have a new quilt to do, I'll be able to put together the fabric I like. I am assuming I'll have to purchase a singular larger piece for the backing. I had to do that for my current quilt. My stash is small, so I don't think I'm going overboard.

Now if fabric.com would stop sending all those wonderful coupons and sales emails......... Actually, my first purchase from fabric.com was about a month ago and I absolutely LOVED the fabric! Since then, those fabrics are on a further discount but several of the one group are no longer available. So glad I got what I wanted before it was gone.

Happy quilting everyone! :lol: :wink:

debp33 03-17-2011 06:55 PM

I have a great stash to work from so I always pull from it when doing a project.

Will I ever use the stash up? Boy, I hope so. I hope I have many, many years of quilting left in me!