Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stash-t90434.html)

dorothymsmith 01-14-2011 10:42 AM

How do you store your stash

Jim's Gem 01-14-2011 10:43 AM

In cabinets installed especially for fabrics as well as large rubbermaid clear tubs in the garage.

Vanuatu Jill 01-14-2011 10:45 AM

In my walk-in closet-(it takes more room than my clothes!) I have hanging sweater and shoe organizers lined up and the fabric is sorted by color (with separate sections for Xmas prints, children's prints, and misc (simply because I haven't decided where to "file" it! My scraps are stored in clear stackable plastic boxes, and the bolts (mostly backing) are on a shelf.

sueisallaboutquilts 01-14-2011 10:45 AM

My husband built shelves in a big closet in my sewing room. They are extremely useful and stuffed :D
I also have some plastic 6 drawer cases on rollers and a dresser full of my antique/vintage fabrics.

katiebear1 01-14-2011 10:49 AM

Mine is all in large plastic bins. The way I keep my stash manageable is that the bins have to all be able to fit under the daybed in my sewing room. I can fit 6 under the bed. Not all of them are totally full, but when they are no more new fabric until I have made a sizable dent in my stash.

buckyfan19 01-14-2011 11:13 AM

I used to keep them in the clear plastic bins (one set of drawers and a few free roaming ones), but my new years resolution was to organize my stash (and craft closet), so I am in the process of wrapping all my fabric and storing them vertical.
I was SHOCKED at how many fabrics I had... then I thought I was truely done, and I found one more drawer, my Christmas fabric! Thankfully my hubby has been a trouper and continues to cut out the cardboard to wrap all my fabric on! They then go into a bookcase ($24 at Menards).
Happy stashing!

lynmccoy 01-14-2011 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by buckyfan19
I used to keep them in the clear plastic bins (one set of drawers and a few free roaming ones), but my new years resolution was to organize my stash (and craft closet), so I am in the process of wrapping all my fabric and storing them vertical.
I was SHOCKED at how many fabrics I had... then I thought I was truely done, and I found one more drawer, my Christmas fabric! Thankfully my hubby has been a trouper and continues to cut out the cardboard to wrap all my fabric on! They then go into a bookcase ($24 at Menards).
Happy stashing!

I have my fabric in 2 rooms. They both have shelves all along the walls except for closets. I put the fabric on the shelves and in one closet I have clear plastic bins of scrap pieces. In the other closet I have batting.The colors are together,dark to light with binding to match. The seasonal is in it's own stacks.

stpatmom 01-14-2011 12:07 PM

I am trying to move into the quiltville way of doing things. Right now I have a bunch of totes that each store a differnt color, and I bought the shoebox size to begin cutting into the different strips. Eventually, I'll switch the strips into the larger totes though.

mymsmess 01-14-2011 12:14 PM

Is there a certain type of cardboard you use and what is the size?

Thanks
Tammy

Izaquilter 01-14-2011 12:15 PM

I like mine all folded & color coordinate. WHAT isn't out & all over my room!