Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   State Fair 'My First Quilt' Contest (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/state-fair-my-first-quilt-contest-t10329.html)

shellyp 08-18-2008 07:17 AM

After making my first quilt I thought about entering it in next years state fair. I thought it would be fun. But I am realistic and wanted to scope things out this year first. No sense entering and totally embarrassing myself. So this weekend I went to check out this years entries. They had a big room full of quilts that weren't marked very well. They have several different categories and I didn't know which was the 'my first quilt' ones. Almost all the quilts were big. Double or bigger! Some my sister thought were bigger than a California king. Once we were done there we went back downstairs and found a room with the winners in it. This were I get confused. We spotted the 'my first quilt' winner. It was spectacular! :shock: I was in total shock...someone on their first try out made a queen size, with pieced stars and flower applique. I would never have dreamed to do something so elaborate on my first quilt. I'll post pics tomorrow. My sister doesn't believe that it was this persons first quilt at all. It was just to perfect. I think the only way was if it was someone who done alot of other sewing, and done applique on other things before, but this was the first 'quilt' they made. Then I started wondering....is it 'my first quilt I ever made' or 'my first quilt entered into the fair'? The rules really don't say. Just categories for 2 or more people and single person. On the up side, I think I could hold my own in the junior division. To bad I'm over 18. :lol:
What do you all think? Could someone make something like that the first time out? What did you make the first time? Ever see a contest and think that the entry was in the wrong category?

jstitch 08-18-2008 07:31 AM

Shelly,

I think that someone could make something like that as their first quilt, but only with some one guiding/helping them with composition, colors, etc.

People who have done a lot of other hand work can definately execute well on their first quilt. It is the layout, style, complexity and quilting where they tend to need help learning.

How was the quilting on this "first quilt"? Hand or machine....
Possibly she had it quilted by a long arm quilter...which does not comprise a "first quilt" but should then be in a two or more person category.

But the important thing is,,, dont be discouraged.

And post pictures of YOUR quilt. We love to see the work of the quilters on the board and you will receive your share of kudos. It is a great confidence booster.

Judy

beachlady 08-18-2008 07:35 AM

My first quilt was done at a class and I had good instruction. And it didn't say how long it took to make that first quilt!! I know what you mean though - I should enter the under 6 group. Might win then. LOL

jstitch 08-18-2008 07:38 AM

Shelly,

I just looked at your pics of your log cabin quilt.
I looks great. Colors are pleasing and contrast beautifully.

Your doing great,,,keep up the good work

Knot Sew 08-18-2008 07:41 AM

I am always surprised by the number of adults that cheat and lie.........we all know someone or suspect, but are to polite to mention it. I like the quilts that have the story to go with it.......some are first quilts that took 5 years to finish :D

shellyp 08-18-2008 09:11 AM

The label on it just said 'my first quilt'. I have no idea if it was for single person or the 2 or more people. I think their was only 1 name on it but that may be the case with all the entries. I didn't even pay attention to the actually quilting of it. Just how the top was put together.

CissyQuilts 08-18-2008 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I took my quilt to our state fairgrounds last Friday. I'll find out how I did when we go the the Fair this Thursday. It is the first quilt I have ever entered in a contest. I honestly don't expect to win any ribbons. I just wanted to enter for the experience. I think you should enter a quilt next year. It will give you an idea of what to expect and give you the opportunity to improve your quilting skills.

My state fair quilt contest entry.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15268[/ATTACH]

marieg 08-18-2008 11:28 AM

I have taken some judging classes and was told this story by an instructor: A women entered an Irish Chain quilt in the 'new and innovative' category. The judges called her and suggested she put it in the 'tradional category'. The quilters explaination it was the first time she had used a rotary cutter.
I know some judges will not move a quilt without permission, it may have been this woman's first applique`, or some other first. I do agree it is confusing at best and when these quilts win an explaination would be nice. I would not be discourages from entering in the future, the least you should get is comments on your quilt both good and 'need improvement'.

mamatobugboo 08-18-2008 11:37 AM

i think it would be incredibly fun to have a quilt in a quilt show - whether I felt I could win or not! So, next year, you should enter just for the fun! Plus, you might get a free pass and be able to chat it up with the other quilters :lol:

Marcia 08-18-2008 12:46 PM

Shelly-Do not be shy about entering your quilt at the fair. I am entering one this year (very first time EVER) and I am nervous too--but I think it is going to be a really fun experience. I can't wait to go and see my quilt hanging there!!!